Need suggestions for dis-connects - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need suggestions for dis-connects
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
cptsparkle
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 5

Hello all,

I'm currently assembling the parts to build a three vessel, same level, 10 Gallon, all grain system. I would like to install quick dis-connects between the outlet of the HTL and MT and the inlet to a March pump. I will have a March pump between the HLT and MT as well as the MT and BT. I'm interested in running flexible tubing from the two outlets to the two inlets of the pumps as to facilitate removing the kettles for cleaning. Obviously, I will need quick dis-connects from the ball valves of the drain of both the HLT and MT. Each vessel is a 30 1/2 gallon converted Sanke keg.

Construction will commence immediately upon my return to the states from the sands of Iraq.

I need suggestions for disconnects. Brand, type, suppliers, etc, as well as tubing types.

Thanks folks.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
abracadabra
 
abracadabra's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newnan, Georgia
Posts: 1,923
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Consider going to Home Depot or Lowes and getting the quick connects associated with aircompressors. They come in a couple of sizes the brass ones would probably be the most appropriate.


__________________
Do what you like!
Brew what you like!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
auto
ARC Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
auto's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 86
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsparkle View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently assembling the parts to build a three vessel, same level, 10 Gallon, all grain system. I would like to install quick dis-connects between the outlet of the HTL and MT and the inlet to a March pump. I will have a March pump between the HLT and MT as well as the MT and BT. I'm interested in running flexible tubing from the two outlets to the two inlets of the pumps as to facilitate removing the kettles for cleaning. Obviously, I will need quick dis-connects from the ball valves of the drain of both the HLT and MT. Each vessel is a 30 1/2 gallon converted Sanke keg.

Construction will commence immediately upon my return to the states from the sands of Iraq.

I need suggestions for disconnects. Brand, type, suppliers, etc, as well as tubing types.

Thanks folks.


Just did this to pump from Boil into chiller. 1/2 couplers on the March, and used thier quick PolY Disconnects on each side, works great. Evertyhing I needed from Mark at Midwest Brewing Supply. Thanks for serving

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Bokonon
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Posts: 1,280
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Your going to find a lot of people suggesting the brass QD from http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search for part 6739K64 and 6739K59 on their website. They are very affordable and work just great. The only downside is you'll need to wear some gloves when using them while hot

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,952
Liked 69 Times on 44 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Your going to find a lot of people suggesting the brass QD from http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search for part 6739K64 and 6739K59 on their website. They are very affordable and work just great. The only downside is you'll need to wear some gloves when using them while hot
That's what I use. They're cheap and work great. And c'mon, they don't get that hot. I haven't had to use gloves yet.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
I dub this beer the Double Slutty Triple Nutty Bodacious Booty Brunette!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #6

Yup, I grab bare handed when I'm moving 170F liquids but I go for a rag when If boiling liquid has been running.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
BIAB Large Mesh False Bottoms and SS HERMS COILS are IN!!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Gordie
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Healdsburg, CA
Posts: 380
Liked 29 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Your going to find a lot of people suggesting the brass QD from http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search for part 6739K64 and 6739K59 on their website. They are very affordable and work just great. The only downside is you'll need to wear some gloves when using them while hot
In the past month I did exactly what you're planning on doing. I ended up ordering the McMaser brass "coolant" QDs. I put male connects on the pump, ball valves, etc. and females on the tubing. It works great and made life much easier. They get a little hot but not too bad. With the females on the tubing its relatively easy to one-hand the disconnect with a glove on as well. This is what I ordered:

3038K261 High-temp Nsf-51 Silicone Rubber Tubing, 1/2" Id, 3/4" Od, 1/8" Wall, Translucent

6739K59 Straight Through Coolant Hose Coupling, Plug, 1/2" Nptf Male, 3/8" Coupling Size

6739K64 Straight Through Coolant Hose Coupling, Sleeve-lck Sckt X Barb For 1/2"hose Id,3/8"cplg Sz



Gordie


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Bokonon
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Posts: 1,280
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
That's what I use. They're cheap and work great. And c'mon, they don't get that hot. I haven't had to use gloves yet.
You tried running boiling liquid through them? Gets pretty hot. From the HLT, MLT, or cleanup I don't need the gloves.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Hill Country Brewer
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spicewood, TX
Posts: 30

Based on all the suggestions, I have these QDs on the way.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,952
Liked 69 Times on 44 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
You tried running boiling liquid through them? Gets pretty hot. From the HLT, MLT, or cleanup I don't need the gloves.
Sure, but the only time I'm switching them around is before the boil. Once I reach the boil and they're connected, I don't have to move them around until I'm done chilling (when they're cool). You'd have to be really stupid to grab them during a boil.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
I dub this beer the Double Slutty Triple Nutty Bodacious Booty Brunette!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keggle Quick Connects? Denny's Evil Concoctions Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 10 11-16-2009 06:09 PM
Forgot my keg connects and i'm at a picnic!!!! Brewkowski Bottling/Kegging 10 07-24-2009 05:05 PM
Quick connects for a CO2 manifold gregdech Bottling/Kegging 3 10-21-2008 12:14 PM
The piece that connects my co2 to my keg is stuck (help?) drsocc Bottling/Kegging 4 08-26-2008 04:00 PM
Quick connects..... Beermaker Equipment/Sanitation 4 02-10-2006 01:24 PM


Forum Jump