HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Monster Mill M3-20

Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Monster Mill M3-20

Well, my old mill bit the dust a few months back - turned 18 lbs of grain into flour /dust before I realized it (I brewed with it anyways - talk about a nightmare). Decided to pickup a new M3-20 (3 roller - 2" diameter) Monster Mill from Fred at his website (http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm320.htm). It just arrived. This thing is ridiculous! Bigger than I could every possibly need - but just the way I like it... heh. It's built like a tank (weighs about as much as one too) and seems very well made - super simple to adjust the secondary gap.

I've already ordered the sheaves and belt, and found some nice GE 1/2 HP motors on eBay for $45 ($20 shipping). Plan on building a milling station next weekend if everything goes to plan. Will take plenty of pictures soon.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Make sure you put a good flat spot on the Crank shaft for the sheave set screw. And get yourself some of this for the belts:

http://www.chesterton.com/products/t...sp/product/730

Old 05-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
Namako

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere View Post
Well, my old mill bit the dust a few months back - turned 18 lbs of grain into flour /dust before I realized it (I brewed with it anyways - talk about a nightmare). Decided to pickup a new M3-20 (3 roller - 2" diameter) Monster Mill from Fred at his website (http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm320.htm). It just arrived. This thing is ridiculous! Bigger than I could every possibly need - but just the way I like it... heh. It's built like a tank (weighs about as much as one too) and seems very well made - super simple to adjust the secondary gap.

I've already ordered the sheaves and belt, and found some nice GE 1/2 HP motors on eBay for $45 ($20 shipping). Plan on building a milling station next weekend if everything goes to plan. Will take plenty of pictures soon.
Dude!! I've been waiting 4 years for the pictures!! Did that weekend ever arrive?

Indecision... may or may not be my problem... I'm not sure

Primary 1 - Empty
Primary 2 - Empty
Kegged: Empty
Planned: Maerzen, Maibock, and a Kellerbier/Zwickle
Coming Soon: An upgraded Blichmann 20-gallon, Kal-inspired, BCS-controlled, all-electric RIMS-based pico-brewery (by mid-Summer 2015, after the winter thaw, and the NHC, I swear!!)

Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

What size sheaves did you order?

Old 06-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So I apparently started a new thread instead of following up with this one.. Whoops

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-n...station-73570/

The milling station is still doing great and I wouldn't change a thing. The only thing I don't do now is put my hand anywhere near the hopper (the video looks way more dangerous than it really is), I use an old hand broom to feed the grain near the end..