Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Krausen with Fermcap

Old 05-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
hal simmons
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Krausen with Fermcap

I used Fermcap yesterday for the first time. I didn't need it in the boil, since I had plenty of headspace in my kettle. I ended up with 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon fermenter, filled it right up to where the carboy starts to curve in. I used pure O2 to aerate, added fermcap, yeast, sloshed the carboy to mix, and the 3 inches of foam the O2 created immediately disappeared. Pretty cool I thought.

But...I wake up this morning and i've got krausen almost up to the airlock and I've switched to a blowoff tube just in case. Is this normal? I thought the product was supposed to prevent this?

I already used the recommended amount (0.25 - 0.5 tsp. per 5 gallons). Is it OK to add a little more?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I don't think it is abnormal. It happened to me last week with a Wit.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're probably OK, but Fermcap should go in the boil to ensure that no contaminating organisms hitch a ride with it.
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
hal simmons
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceskier View Post
You're probably OK, but Fermcap should go in the boil to ensure that no contaminating organisms hitch a ride with it.
That makes sense. I just followed the instructions which said to add it when you pitch your yeast. I'll add it at flame out next time

Old 05-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used some (foam control from LHBS) yesterday in my boil and still got boil overs with the directed amount (2 drop per gallon at beginning of boil).

I tried to perform a 6 gallon boil in a 7.5 gallon pot, and ended up with less than five gallons in my primary

Old 05-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishland View Post
I used some (foam control from LHBS) yesterday in my boil and still got boil overs with the directed amount (2 drop per gallon at beginning of boil).

I tried to perform a 6 gallon boil in a 7.5 gallon pot, and ended up with less than five gallons in my primary
I highly recommend a squirt bottle with some water in it. EdWort recommended it to me, and I haven't had a boil over since. Everytime the boil starts to get going, I just spray down the foam. I do the same thing when I make starters.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
vfinch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
I highly recommend a squirt bottle with some water in it. EdWort recommended it to me, and I haven't had a boil over since. Everytime the boil starts to get going, I just spray down the foam. I do the same thing when I make starters.
+1 on that. I always a have a few squirt bottles on hand (to correct our dogs), so I just grab one from the counter. Works like a charm, and gives my trigger finger a workout.
Next Up: Something...

Old 05-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceskier View Post

You have so many better things to worry about than getting an infection from your fermcap.