Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 48 Qt rectangular cooler Vs 5 gal round cooler

Old 03-02-2006, 02:37 AM   #11
davidkrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi

From what you brewers tell me is there dosen't seem to be any big objections to the 48 qt cooler so that's the way I'll go. I've got all my equipmernt lined up. I bought a propane cooker and my 9 pounds of grain,hops and yeast arrive today.
So Saturday is the big brew day.I want to thank everyone for their input. This is a great forum with a lot of people participating. I'll let you know how it turned out,good ,bad, or disastrous. I'm as nervous as a cat but I just tell myself it's not a matter of life or death.

Regards

David

Old 03-02-2006, 03:13 AM   #12
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

10 gal I have found are VERY EXPENSIVE compaired to the 5 gal equivalant. I saw a 10 at a restruant supply house for 75.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 03-02-2006, 03:15 AM   #13
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkrau
Hi

From what you brewers tell me is there dosen't seem to be any big objections to the 48 qt cooler so that's the way I'll go. I've got all my equipmernt lined up. I bought a propane cooker and my 9 pounds of grain,hops and yeast arrive today.
So Saturday is the big brew day.I want to thank everyone for their input. This is a great forum with a lot of people participating. I'll let you know how it turned out,good ,bad, or disastrous. I'm as nervous as a cat but I just tell myself it's not a matter of life or death.

Regards

David
Good luck and enjoy your first AG experience!

Old 03-02-2006, 03:16 AM   #14
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

The 10g coolers most of us have purchased as rectangular coolers, not the more expensive round ones. You can usually find a rectangular for ~$25-30.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 AM   #15
MrSaLTy

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I think I saw the 10 gal rubbermaid coolers at ace hardware for 48 bux which is the cheapest I have seen. My only question is that I have seen 2 types of 10 gal rubbermaid coolers and I can't tell what the difference between them is. One has white handles on it that swivel and the other had handles that are just molded into the plastic orange outside of the cooler. I wonder if they both are basically the same thing.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #16
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
The consensus seems to be that 5 gal is a little small to do high gravity beers with...I'm going to go with a ten gallon myself.
I've got the Igloo ten gallon round and it has worked fine for me. I've even done a 10 gallon batch in it. The photo shows sparging of my ESB which contained 14 pounds of grain.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #17
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I think that I am now back to my original original plan of a 48Qt Rectangle, and build a custom manifold to ensure that there are no deadspots that could develop. Eventually (here's hoping) I would like to get to 10 gallon batches, since I just can't keep up with demand doing 5G batches. With Luck, I will get my keggle welded this weekend (having a pro do that) and can get started on my MLT and my brew stand (I am welding that since it is just structural and I am a messy welder).

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 03-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #18
Rooster Cogburn
Recipes 

Here is my take on the 48q cooler issue.

I just moved into AG and made my first batch this weekend. The beer was an English pale ale made with 9# English 2 row, 1/2# 10L crystal, and 1/2 # carapils, for 10# grains total.

I made a mash tun from a 48q igloo cube cooler and I could not have been more pleased with the results. I think that the cube shape is what makes the 48q cube preferable to a 48q chest. It has a smaller footprint and allows for a deeper grainbed as compared to a chest cooler.

Another advantage of a 48q cube is that it is also large enough to handle high gravity/10g batches. Further, I picked up my 48q Igloo Cube at a local sporting goods store for under $13.00, and after building my manifold, I was out around $40.00. Not a bad investment if you ask me.

My next brewery upgrade is going to be converting a stainless steel keg to a brewpot, but I probably wont have the time or money to do this for a few more months. Will keep anyone who is interested updated.

Rooster

Old 03-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yea, I did my first batch with my square 48 qt. cooler over the weekend. The batch was a Belgian Strong Ale with 20 pounds of grain. After adding about 10, I am pretty sure that the grain bed would have been sufficient. However, after adding the full 20 lbs and mash water, there was still about 40% of room left. I love it. Also, at $40, I think it is cheaper than the mash tun I had (bought from Local HBS).