Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blue Moon Clone

Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #511
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What are you making? Blue Moon or something else?

To get the flavors of a Blue Moon clone, which is what this thread is about, the yeast to use is SafAle US-05, Wyeast 1056, or White Labs WLP001. I , personally, see no need to use liquid for this recipe when the US-05 works so well.

The suggestion of US-04 was for people who have brewed the recipe as suggested and wanted a bit more sweetness and yeast character.

Anything else will not be close to Blue Moon. As I have stated many times in this thread, make the recipe using the ingredients and techniques described here. After that batch is done, taste it and THEN change whatever you want to fit your tastes.

If you want to make some form of Belgian or other fruit beer, great. But that is not for this thread.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #512
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sorry if it seems like i hijacked this thread but i want to know if using Safbrew t-58 would yield a similar product to blue moon. But clearly that's not the case sorry again.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #513
gregkeller
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Alright. I did this as per the original recipe, except for the fact that i didn't have enough corriander. I had around a half a jar in my spice cabinet, threw it on the scale and only had around .5 oz. I had planned on 1 oz, and .33 oz of sweet orange peel. So i scaled the orange peel back to 1/4 of an ounce. So wasn't quite on the 3:1 ratio originally called for. This stuff is awesome 2 weeks after brewing. I kegged it sunday, 15 days post brew, with a FG of 1.011. OG was 1.053. It tastes killer, warm and uncarbed. Can't wait to try this cold and bubbly. I used 50% 2 row, 40% white wheat, 10 % oats. I can't wait for this stuff to carb up.

Seems like a lot of the differences people have been experiencing is due to the type of orange used. I used 1/4 ounce of sweet orange peel from Austin Home brew. I ground it up in my magic bullet and added it to my boil with 10 minutes left. No lack of orange flavor in the finished product and it's not overpowering in the least. I would imagine that anyone trying it would get the orange from it, but not think it was too much. I'm not sure about the corriander as it's not a flavor i use too much. I probably could have bumped it up to .75 oz and been good. Once this carbs i'll do a side by side with blue moon, but even if it isn't a direct clone, it's good.
Keg #1 - Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2 - Janet's Brown Lite
Keg #3 - Blonde ale w/ Huell melon hops
Fermenting: Berliner
On Deck- Saison, Big IIPA

Old 02-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #514
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I zested three clementines (tangerines, essentially) and used 1oz. of coriander ground medium in the coffee grinder. Both were added near the very end of the boil, 10m orange and 5m coriander I believe. My batch was small, about 4g into the FV. OG 1.040ish, 2 weeks on WL Belgian Witbier yeast in primary, FG 1.010 last night, bottling tonight. SRM is in the 3-4 range, cloudy, citrus aroma, coriander and orange def. still coming through flavor. I siphoned to FV, had lots of trub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #515
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkeller View Post
Alright. I did this as per the original recipe, except for the fact that i didn't have enough corriander. I had around a half a jar in my spice cabinet, threw it on the scale and only had around .5 oz. I had planned on 1 oz, and .33 oz of sweet orange peel. So i scaled the orange peel back to 1/4 of an ounce. So wasn't quite on the 3:1 ratio originally called for. This stuff is awesome 2 weeks after brewing. I kegged it sunday, 15 days post brew, with a FG of 1.011. OG was 1.053. It tastes killer, warm and uncarbed. Can't wait to try this cold and bubbly. I used 50% 2 row, 40% white wheat, 10 % oats. I can't wait for this stuff to carb up.

Seems like a lot of the differences people have been experiencing is due to the type of orange used. I used 1/4 ounce of sweet orange peel from Austin Home brew. I ground it up in my magic bullet and added it to my boil with 10 minutes left. No lack of orange flavor in the finished product and it's not overpowering in the least. I would imagine that anyone trying it would get the orange from it, but not think it was too much. I'm not sure about the corriander as it's not a flavor i use too much. I probably could have bumped it up to .75 oz and been good. Once this carbs i'll do a side by side with blue moon, but even if it isn't a direct clone, it's good.

If you read further in the thread you will see Wayne corrected those amounts so .5 oz corriander is plenty (it's actually too much for me actually, I use .25 oz per 5 gallon batch). The amount of orange peel isn't going to be enough to get much flavor. I use .5 oz which is on the low end, but I think it is .8 oz or so to match the original recipe ratio. Just go through the thread quickly looking for Waynes posts and you'll see where he talks about the different types of dry orange peel and corrects the amounts for a 5 gallon batch.

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #516
Paxsman
Recipes 

I brewed Nilos #4 the other day. I hit the numbers perfectly...well almost, my mash was .75 degrees low. We tested at two weeks and I will say "wow this is almost perfect". We compared the clone to a Blue Moon and this is what we found.
Our beer was slightly darker.
Good head retention.
The body was very close.
Our beer has a fruitier taste on the front with a perfect finish.
Our beer was slightly under carbonated. Keep in mind this is at two weeks in the bottle.
Our overall opinion is, if the fruity front end mellows this will be remarkably close to the real thing.

So based on what I've read the fruity taste does mellow over time. What has everyone else found?
Thanks for everyone's hard work...this may become my house beer.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #517
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I found that the bitter orange give it kind of a sour taste. Maybe next time only use sweet orange peel. Other then that It's not bad. Mine is on tap might be alittle different then being bottled.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #518
freshhoarse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows69
I found that the bitter orange give it kind of a sour taste. Maybe next time only use sweet orange peel. Other then that It's not bad. Mine is on tap might be alittle different then being bottled.
Zest some Valencia oranges. It really adds a nice complexity ....

Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #519
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxsman View Post
So based on what I've read the fruity taste does mellow over time. What has everyone else found?
I bottled an extract batch about one month ago. It had Wayne1's grain bill and Nilo's #4 orange/coriander amounts. I also think 3 oz of orange peel makes it too fruity, at least at one month out. If I brew this again I'll probably go with only 1 oz of sweet orange peel and no bitter. Less orange also may help the coriander comer through a bit more, which I would prefer. Either that or I need to buy some fresher coriander. I crushed the snot out of the seeds on brew day but they have been in my spice drawer for a year+.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #520
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I used a coffee grinder on medium, maybe on the coarse side of medium. 0.75oz (eyeballed it). Zested three clementines but didn't get much from them...taste was there, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!