Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blue Moon Clone

Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #431
KirkD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Has anyone tried to alter this recipe to create a clone of Blue Moon Summer?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #432
xyxysdaddy
Recipes 

I'm very new to the homebrew scene--and can't believe I waited this long. I did a Red Hook ESB clone for numero uno, jumping right into all grain brewing, and then was planning on a Portsmouth Brewery Oatmeal Stout yesterday but did my wife a favor and read through this thread and decided I'd give a simplified version here a go. Basically used 1.5lbs oats, .5lbs rice hulls, in addition to the grains recipe here... I did decided to save 1/4lb of my oats for the boil, no clue why or if it'll change things... stuck with the standard Halltertauer hops pellets, but did 2 oz at 60 minutes... looked awesome by the end. Saw some action about 16 hours later in the airlock, now I'll just let her sit for two weeks or so.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #433
Theis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Tried my first fully carbonated bottle of Nilo's recipe 4, it's been in the bottles for 2 weeks and the coriander flavor has really mellowed and let the orange peel come through. I did 1 oz dried sweet orange peel from Midwest and the zest of 3 navel oranges. Other posters nailed it on the head when they said that you can't add too much orange. The brew is a big hit, thanks for the great recipe.

Reason: wrong recipe number

Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #434
nilo
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theis View Post
Tried my first fully carbonated bottle of Nilo's recipe 3, it's been in the bottles for 2 weeks and the coriander flavor has really mellowed and let the orange peel come through. I did 1 oz dried sweet orange peel from Midwest and the zest of 3 navel oranges. Other posters nailed it on the head when they said that you can't add too much orange. The brew is a big hit, thanks for the great recipe.
Did you do recipe #3 or #4?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #435
Theis
Recipes 

On review it was recipe #4 with substitution for some of the dried orange peel with fresh orange zest (that stuff is expensive). Boiled the 1/4# oats with no problems but some of the orange zest escaped my nylon hops bag and wreaked havoc on my counterflow chiller clogging it a couple times

Old 09-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #436
nilo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theis View Post
On review it was recipe #4 with substitution for some of the dried orange peel with fresh orange zest (that stuff is expensive). Boiled the 1/4# oats with no problems but some of the orange zest escaped my nylon hops bag and wreaked havoc on my counterflow chiller clogging it a couple times
I was hoping you did #4, by far the best to date. I just tried my #6, a re-do of #4, and it proved to be a winner.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #437
Theis
Recipes 

My wife and in-laws, who are big Blue Moon fans, couldn't pick out which was the clone. This is definitely going in the rotation of regular brews. I might try to mash the oats next time because the boiling bag with 1/4# oats was a royal pain to clean out, we'll see how it affects the body.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #438
labarr12
Recipes 

Hey! I'm in the minority here and don't have an AG system at home. I'm trying to make a Blue Moon clone for my dad's birthday (unfortunately, its the only "real beer" he will drink), and I was hoping to do a PM version. Has anyone tried to turn Nilo's 3rd or 4th recipe into a PM?I'm not even sure how I would go about trying to convert this recipe myself...

Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 AM   #439
nilo
Recipes 

I have not brewed extract for a while, but this is what I would do, assuming that I could get extra light and wheat DME.

Steep:
2.0lb crystal 10L in 2gals of water at 155F for 30min

For boil (assuming 5gal batch and 6.5gal boil):
2.0 lb wheat DME
3.0 lb extra light DME
1/2lb flaked oats for last 15min
1oz hallertauer 4% for 1h
Ferment at 67F with S04

OG=1.047
SG=1.012
ABV%=4.4
IBU=14

Of course FG is sometimes hard to predic with extract beers, but I would give it a shot. I remove the dextrin since extract usually provide more un-fermentables.
If you do brew this, report back.
psrankin Likes This 
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #440
xyxysdaddy
Recipes 

Well, being new to homebrewing I made a mistake--I lost a lot in my boil, and decided to simply replace that with water, so my Blue Moon clone turned out almost like a BM light. I don't do light beers, but I tell you what, my wife and her girlfriends love the stuff. Guess it's time to buy a larger boiling pot!