Blue Moon Clone - Page 41 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blue Moon Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #401
Geigon
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Harvard, MA
Posts: 20

I'm planning to brew Nilo's #3 today but noticed that the ingredients list for #3 in post #304 lists 4lbs of 2 row, whereas post 328 says 5lbs, I'm guessing that this is a transcription error and that the first recipe listing is correct. i.e. 4lbs not 5lbs of 2 row. Can someone confirm? I 'm planning to grind my whole coriander and will also grind the dried Valencia peels that I bought yesterday using a spice grinder. I'm planning to use just Valencia per Wayne's original recipe.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread and the collaborative nature of the evolution towards achieving a recipe with the current Blue Moon taste. I wonder whether one of the missing steps is that to get it just right one must next brew this on Aug. 31, 2012 ( the next blue moon) perhaps by then we'll be ready. I just can't wait ;-)

Thanks,
-Brad
__________________
Big fan of the collaborative nature of yeast... transforming one social medium into another.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 AM   #402
nilo
 
nilo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Seattle, WA
Posts: 732
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geigon View Post
I'm planning to brew Nilo's #3 today but noticed that the ingredients list for #3 in post #304 lists 4lbs of 2 row, whereas post 328 says 5lbs, I'm guessing that this is a transcription error and that the first recipe listing is correct. i.e. 4lbs not 5lbs of 2 row. Can someone confirm? I 'm planning to grind my whole coriander and will also grind the dried Valencia peels that I bought yesterday using a spice grinder. I'm planning to use just Valencia per Wayne's original recipe.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread and the collaborative nature of the evolution towards achieving a recipe with the current Blue Moon taste. I wonder whether one of the missing steps is that to get it just right one must next brew this on Aug. 31, 2012 ( the next blue moon) perhaps by then we'll be ready. I just can't wait ;-)

Thanks,
-Brad
Brad, the correct amount of 2 row used in recipe 3 was 5 pounds. I have corrected post 304. Thanks for catching that.
FYI, I have recipe 5 fermenting right now. For some weird reason, I can't stick to one recipe, always plugging in something new to see what happen. Repeating recipe 4 now but will use orange extract, to be added during priming/bottling.
Let us know how your batch turns out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #403
Geigon
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Harvard, MA
Posts: 20

Thanks Nilo. This batch (brewed on Sat) has 4 lbs of 2 row. O.G. was 1.052. It's bubbling away nicely now. I'm looking forward to the final result. In the next batch I'll go with 5 lbs.

Cheers,
-Brad
__________________
Big fan of the collaborative nature of yeast... transforming one social medium into another.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #404
nuttzman
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Hatfield, PA
Posts: 1

Nilo,

Is your attempt #4 recipe for a 5 or 10 gallon batch?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #405
nilo
 
nilo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Seattle, WA
Posts: 732
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttzman View Post
Nilo,

Is your attempt #4 recipe for a 5 or 10 gallon batch?
All my attempts were 5gal batches.

Thanks,

Nilo

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #406
nilo
 
nilo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Seattle, WA
Posts: 732
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


I have posted a recipe tracker to the link below.
i'll keep that updated as I test new batches.
Let me know if you see anything wrong.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...jNDUz&hl=en_US

Thanks,

Nilo

pascott6 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #407
Wild Duk
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 317

Nilo, nice spreadsheet.....

About how many tbsp/tsp would you say .375 oz. of coriander equals per your #4...

Thx

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #408
nilo
 
nilo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Seattle, WA
Posts: 732
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk View Post
Nilo, nice spreadsheet.....

About how many tbsp/tsp would you say .375 oz. of coriander equals per your #4...

Thx
Duk, that is exactly 2 table spoons of coriander, whole, before cracking it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #409
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
BrewBrain's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,110
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Holy carp this thread is long. Sorry for the questions here - I'm sure they are in the first 40 pages someplace

My dad is visiting soon and wants me to brew a Blue Moon clone. He doesn't generally like beer, but tried this one and liked it. Unfortunately, I am not a wheat beer fan and know nothing about brewing wits.

1) So, if I brew this, can we drink it in 5 weeks? I think wheats are supposed to drink quicker than standard pale ales, etc., no?

2) Orange peel - do I just zest an orange? The outer skin? Or should I take the entire peel and grind it up?

3) If I keg this, will it be too clear? Should I just bottle it and hope for carbonation in time?

Thanks.
__________________
You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #410
nilo
 
nilo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Seattle, WA
Posts: 732
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


my 2c:
1)5 weeks is fine
2)Zest 2 oranges. Avoid the white underneath that can add bitter taste. You don't need to grind it, just chop, add to 1/2 cup of vodka while you brew the batch or the day before, than throw all into primary before or after pitching the yeast. I find that most aromas would evaporate if you boil the peels, specially the fresh peels.
3)I don't keg, but I don't think it would make any difference on how clear it looks. 5 weeks in bottles will give you plenty of carbonation. Use 3/4 to 1 cup prime sugar for 5gal batch.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone) BierMuncher Homebrew Ale Recipes 589 11-29-2016 05:46 AM
Blue Moon - Honey Moon Clone Recipe limprizol Recipes/Ingredients 2 01-25-2010 03:36 PM
Blue Moon Clone? Panzermann Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 06-10-2009 05:59 PM
AHS Blue Moon Clone veggiess Extract Brewing 33 04-02-2009 12:54 PM


Forum Jump