Blue Moon Clone - Page 41 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Blue Moon Clone

Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #401
Geigon
Recipes 

May 2011
Harvard, MA

I'm planning to brew Nilo's #3 today but noticed that the ingredients list for #3 in post #304 lists 4lbs of 2 row, whereas post 328 says 5lbs, I'm guessing that this is a transcription error and that the first recipe listing is correct. i.e. 4lbs not 5lbs of 2 row. Can someone confirm? I 'm planning to grind my whole coriander and will also grind the dried Valencia peels that I bought yesterday using a spice grinder. I'm planning to use just Valencia per Wayne's original recipe.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread and the collaborative nature of the evolution towards achieving a recipe with the current Blue Moon taste. I wonder whether one of the missing steps is that to get it just right one must next brew this on Aug. 31, 2012 ( the next blue moon) perhaps by then we'll be ready. I just can't wait ;-)

Thanks,
-Brad

Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 AM   #402
nilo

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Seattle, WA
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geigon View Post
I'm planning to brew Nilo's #3 today but noticed that the ingredients list for #3 in post #304 lists 4lbs of 2 row, whereas post 328 says 5lbs, I'm guessing that this is a transcription error and that the first recipe listing is correct. i.e. 4lbs not 5lbs of 2 row. Can someone confirm? I 'm planning to grind my whole coriander and will also grind the dried Valencia peels that I bought yesterday using a spice grinder. I'm planning to use just Valencia per Wayne's original recipe.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread and the collaborative nature of the evolution towards achieving a recipe with the current Blue Moon taste. I wonder whether one of the missing steps is that to get it just right one must next brew this on Aug. 31, 2012 ( the next blue moon) perhaps by then we'll be ready. I just can't wait ;-)

Thanks,
-Brad
Brad, the correct amount of 2 row used in recipe 3 was 5 pounds. I have corrected post 304. Thanks for catching that.
FYI, I have recipe 5 fermenting right now. For some weird reason, I can't stick to one recipe, always plugging in something new to see what happen. Repeating recipe 4 now but will use orange extract, to be added during priming/bottling.
Let us know how your batch turns out.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #403
Geigon
Recipes 

May 2011
Harvard, MA

Thanks Nilo. This batch (brewed on Sat) has 4 lbs of 2 row. O.G. was 1.052. It's bubbling away nicely now. I'm looking forward to the final result. In the next batch I'll go with 5 lbs.

Cheers,
-Brad

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #404
nuttzman
Recipes 

May 2011
Hatfield, PA

Nilo,

Is your attempt #4 recipe for a 5 or 10 gallon batch?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #405
nilo

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttzman View Post
Nilo,

Is your attempt #4 recipe for a 5 or 10 gallon batch?
All my attempts were 5gal batches.

Thanks,

Nilo

Old 06-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #406
nilo

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Seattle, WA

I have posted a recipe tracker to the link below.
i'll keep that updated as I test new batches.
Let me know if you see anything wrong.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...jNDUz&hl=en_US

Thanks,

Nilo

pascott6 Likes This 
Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #407
Wild Duk
Recipes 

Mar 2008

Nilo, nice spreadsheet.....

About how many tbsp/tsp would you say .375 oz. of coriander equals per your #4...

Thx

Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #408
nilo

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk View Post
Nilo, nice spreadsheet.....

About how many tbsp/tsp would you say .375 oz. of coriander equals per your #4...

Thx
Duk, that is exactly 2 table spoons of coriander, whole, before cracking it.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #409
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
San Jose, CA
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Holy carp this thread is long. Sorry for the questions here - I'm sure they are in the first 40 pages someplace

My dad is visiting soon and wants me to brew a Blue Moon clone. He doesn't generally like beer, but tried this one and liked it. Unfortunately, I am not a wheat beer fan and know nothing about brewing wits.

1) So, if I brew this, can we drink it in 5 weeks? I think wheats are supposed to drink quicker than standard pale ales, etc., no?

2) Orange peel - do I just zest an orange? The outer skin? Or should I take the entire peel and grind it up?

3) If I keg this, will it be too clear? Should I just bottle it and hope for carbonation in time?

Thanks.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #410
nilo

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Seattle, WA

my 2c:
1)5 weeks is fine
2)Zest 2 oranges. Avoid the white underneath that can add bitter taste. You don't need to grind it, just chop, add to 1/2 cup of vodka while you brew the batch or the day before, than throw all into primary before or after pitching the yeast. I find that most aromas would evaporate if you boil the peels, specially the fresh peels.
3)I don't keg, but I don't think it would make any difference on how clear it looks. 5 weeks in bottles will give you plenty of carbonation. Use 3/4 to 1 cup prime sugar for 5gal batch.