Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Changing Jobs?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Default Changing Jobs?

So, I had a rather exciting development in my rather boring life this week. Iíve been thinking of starting to look for a new job as my current one has come up short in several ways. I like the work I do, but the company hasnít been doing well. That means, very little in the way of raises over the past 5+ years and almost constant layoffs hanging over my head. Additionally, I havenít been getting the bulk of my 10% bonus in most years. All this AND my wife has not been working Ė by plan for the most part, but it still hurts.

So, you might ask why I didnít start looking a long time ago. Well, I get to work from home as often as I want. That is a HUGE plus. Theyíre also paying for me to get my MBA, which is nice. My boss is fairly understanding of my situation and has promised to work on getting me promoted this year Ė something that SHOULD mean more money.

Well, pretty much out of nowhere; I get a call from someone that found my resume on CareerBuilder.com. I was a little surprised because I havenít updated that site in over a year Ė probably closer to two. She wanted to talk to be about a job in downtown Chicago. I figured, what the hell, what could it hurt to listen? If nothing else, I could use it as ammo to get some money out of my current company.

It turns out the company is pretty impressive Ė global with lots of growth potential. Iíve talked with the hiring manager and his boss in London; both seemed like great people and reasonably impressed with my credentials. The scope of the work sounds pretty interesting, but I REALLY didnít want to commute downtown every day. Well, turns out they will let me work from home a couple of days a week once I get comfortable. Perfect!

So, Iím pretty excited today! Iím hoping they make me an offer and if itís competitive, Iím probably going to take it. Just like that, I go from thinking about making a move to something TOTALLY falling in my lap! This kind of stuff just doesnít happen to me!

I guess I donít really have a point here, just rambling about this since it looks like it might happen; and Iím REALLY hoping it works out. I donít really want to tell family yet as nothing is definite, so you get read this - lol.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Way to go! Sometimes things just work out.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Smogre

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's great man!
Seems like most people I know have been getting kicked in the nutts by their current employers. So it's good to hear someone out there has good news.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 697 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Fingers crossed...

Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just don't let the new job get in the way of your brewing schedule.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get everything in writing. Working from home? Get it in writing. Employers that are full of **** get ticked that you want the job objectives and perks (working at home) in writing. Employers that are honest and respectable have NO problem with this. Asking to legally record all that is required of you and what you expect in terms of salary (obviously) AND working conditions (at home days/week) should not be a big deal. If it is, step away.

I'm a Private business partner. I would EXPECT something like a written agreement in place in situations like yours (in addition to the standard company hire document). It tells me the employee is serious and knows what he/she is getting into and is there for the long haul. Solid employers know they spend too much money/effort/time finding a good long-term fit for their business. Crap employers simply don't care because they know the job sucks and the turnover is high.

Have a lawyer to go over your contract. The longer the contract the more questionable..........

Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Interesting, I hope it goes in your favour!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got an interview next week and one on the phone...hopefully it works out for both of us!!!!!!

Edit: As for getting it in writing - I can't say I agree or disagree, but I've been promised a LOT by new employers and NONE of it that wasn't written down (salary) has come true. They've changed my hours, reniged on promises of working remotely, etc. I dunno how I'd feel about asking for that, as it could disqualify you from a job - not because they aren't willing to do it it beacuse they're crappy employers, but it does make you sound kinda like a PITA that they might not want on their staff.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Wow- great news! Even if you decide not to take it because you don't want to commute 3 days a week, you know that you are a valuable employee and you have choices.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Well, I have a face-to-face interview next week - looking good!!