Indian Summer American Hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP051 - California V
Yeast Starter
1 L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 66-70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 70F
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Actual Mash System Efficiency: 75 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
27.5 3.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
23.5 3.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
11.8 1.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
7.8 1.00 lbs. Amber Malt Great Britain 1.032 35
27.5 3.50 lbs. Special Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.038 4
2.0 0.25 lbs. Carafa Special Germany 1.030 400

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 48.6 First WH
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 10.4 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 4.2 5 min.
1.00 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 6.5 3 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Perle Pellet 8.25 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Mash

148F for 25 minutes (1:1.25 ratio)
156F for 20 minutes
Mash Out at 170

I call this an "American Hybrid" as it really doesn't fit into any of the American categories, but it sure as hell is an American sort of beer. Really, it's something of a Texas Brown, but no one seems to know what those are, anymore. The malt character is complex, with the Carafa Special only just coming through in the background. While it looks sweet, it is quite well balanced and finishes smoothly bitter.

Aroma is full of both malt and hop character, but the hops are bolder than the malt. Every ingredient can be detected, although the Carafa Special does not come through until it warms a bit and stays in the background. Dry hopping is essential with this beer or it is out of whack, although you could use different hops. The Perle add a pleasant, minty and herbal counter to the citrusy hops, though. The Summit round out the fruitiness of the hops and tie in the mild esters. This is the first time I used Summit, and I really like what they did for this beer. No diacetyl.

The flavor follows the aroma in character, but is a bit maltier in balance. It starts a bit sweet and full of hop flavor. The malt quickly becomes more complex with mild toasty and moderate caramel notes. The finish dries out quickly with lingering hop flavor and bitterness. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium but not as full as the color suggests. Medium carbonation works best, or even a little lower (2-2.5 volumes). Certainly, do not overcarbonate, or you will lose the malt character. No astringency or diacetyl.

I served this to a couple pro brewers just the other day. At four weeks old, it got comments of "complex," "wow," and "I don't know what to call it, but I want some more." They also commented that they expected one beer when they saw it, another when they smelled it, and got neither when they tasted it. That threw them for a loop until they had a couple sips. After that, they really got into it.

For all the above reasons, this is not one to enter into a competition (except, maybe, as Specialty), but it's a mighty nice beer to sit around and drink.

This yet another variation of the first beer I ever brewed, and it's been fun to play around with this recipe.

TL

One weird thing. For some reason or another, I put the FG as 1.022. It's usually more like 1.015. I can't seem to change it, though. Y'all have fun!

TL

Back