Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > English Bitter SNAFU

Old 05-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default English Bitter SNAFU

So over the weekend I popped 2 cherries: My first Partial Mash, and my first Full Boil. I had a nice little recipe for an ESB, everything went well, nice hot boil, good quick chill with my immersion chiller. I must have calibrated my pot volume poorly, because I know I started with 6.5 gallons, based on actual water plus measured first wort and sparge volumes, but when it was all chilled, it looked low by 4 gal. So (stupidly before checking gravity) I added a gallon of water to the kettle and when I transfered to my Ale Pail it measured 6 gallons, not the 5 i thought i topped it off to. I freaked out, but pitched my starter anyway.
After I RDWHAHB I re-calc'ed the recipe in beer smith using my measured OG and volumes and the adjusted gravity and IBU's fit the profile of an English Ordinaty bitter, not the ESB I was trying to make. Not bad since the summer is coming up, probably blessing in disguise. I figure since my snafu was accidentally similar to a partial boil with top-off water, will it really turn out like an ordinary bitter? Or will it have a diluted taste to it?

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6030 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Well, if the IBUs and the SG ratio (under the OG and FG in Beersmith, just below the recipe) are inline with a bitter, it'll be a bitter! If that's ok, it won't taste diluted.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It should be ok. I target 5.5 gallons even on the kits I purchase even when they call for 5 gallons. I have never noticed a diluted taste to my beers. Enjoy the beer and the learning experience. I sure have had enough of them.

You could have boiled off the gallon of half a gallon of it prior to pitch. It may have darkened your beer some(extract), but you would have had been closer to your target.