Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale - 3 kinds???

Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale - 3 kinds???

So, my home brew club meets at Sierra Nevada and this past Thursday I headed down before the meeting to grab a beer at the pub. Thursday nights are cool because they have something special on tap: last Thursday it was the casked version of the Southern Hemisphere harvest ale. The only difference in the cask version is that it is naturally carbonated and served from a beer engine. Having tasted the normal Harvest ale that uses green hops from the Willamette valley, I have to say it is almost exactly the same. The Southern Hemisphere batch uses New Zealand hops flown in as soon as they are picked.

The only difference I noticed was a bit more spice than I remember tasting in the original Harvest, and a bit more hop flavor. A very good beer all around, but I have to say the cask version was really a treat. A bit sweeter, but also not quite as carbonated which I think compliments the style nicely. I think the extra sweetness offsets the hop flavor better and gives the beer a better balance.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff