Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Starter Timing - <24 hours ??

Old 05-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Yeast Starter Timing - <24 hours ??

I am planning on brewing tomorrow and will probably end up pitching yeast about 20-24 hours from when I get the starter made, which would be about now or in a couple hours.

I've had a hectic couple of days and haven't been able to get to everything I wanted to, namely getting my starters...started.

SO. Do i just pitch my Wyeast pitchable yeast, or make a starter that wont have but about 20+ hours to "start" and pitch that?

Thanks.

MNBugeater

Old 05-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Go ahead and make a starter now. It will have time to "wake up" and probably double at least once before you pitch it tomorrow. I'm assuming you aren't brewing something really big.

GT

Old 05-04-2008, 03:01 AM   #3
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I always make liquid yeast starters 2 to 6 days in advance and that gives you plenty of time to step up to a larger volume. I don't see any problem with Nottingham or Safale if you have no time.

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 05-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
enohcs
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 10 Posts

I don't brew until my starter has come to a halt. I've had to push a brew day back a day or two in order to let the starter wind down. The reason I wait is so I can let all the yeast settle so I can pour off all the excess liquid. My starter is always a quarter pound of DME in 4 cups of water, boil for about 20 min, cool, pour into a half gallon growler, pitch yeast, and watch.

All that being said, I think you should be fine pitching your starter pack as is. I think that's what it's designed for. I use White Labs. I've pitched just a vial into 5 gal and been fine.