Huge Problem - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Huge Problem

Old 05-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Tielson's
Recipes 

Oct 2007

i planted some rhizomes last year they are growning back, but the names of them are gone. I do not have anything written anywhere, so how do I know which hops are which?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Jun 2007
The "Ville"
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Oh wow.

I put a diagram in my brewing journal in case of just such a thing!

Nothing to do , but dig them up and start over. Just send the rhizomes to me to dispose of.....

I guess just do a monster IIPA or 2 each harvest time! You may be able to buy a sample of each (you DO remember which varieties you have , right?) make a cup of hop tea (label the cups!) and play the matching game. Good Luck!
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 05-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
FlyingHorse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Depending on the varieties, you might be able to compare pictures of cones and leaves with pics on the web (I tried this last year when the supplier sent me mislabelled rhizomes, with limited success.

Also, depending on the varieties, you might be able to tell by the smell/taste at harvest.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Liked 206 Times on 167 Posts

That's why I planted mine in alphabetical order. Maybe if people see any differences between the young shoots of different varieties they could post them to help out. Or if you could comment on any differences you can see in yours maybe someone can help. I gave Zoebisch a couple rhizomes I dug up. I had my niece helping and I labelled the rhizomes, but later, it was nagging me that I put the wrong name on one. Well, my shoots came up and Liberty has a fairly vibrant purple color on the stem, while the suspect Sterling did not. The rhizome I gave him has sprouted and the report is purple, so Liberty it is.
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
balto charlie

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Md
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

here's link that should help
http://www.hopunion.com/pics.shtml
I have one that is 4-5 years old that I don't know the name. I hope to ID this as well this year. The worse scenario is to use as a dry hop if you like the smell.
Primary Oatmeal stout, End of year hops IPA
On DeckRussian River APA clone, Green Flash IPA clone, Belgian Dubbel

Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Washington State
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. Fortunately one was Cascade and the other Willamette so the size and shape of the cones was helpfull as was the smell when drying them.

GT

Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
That's why I planted mine in alphabetical order.
smart.

: When I make teas / coffees for people I always order the cups in alphabetical order of their names! ...we used to take turns at my old work to make the tea - about 9 of us

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 05-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #8
Jared311

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Columbia, MD
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have a couple of guesses as to what it could be?

If so pick up an ounce of each. Then just boil them in water to create a tea and see which one is the closest match to the one you have. As far as I know there isn't a simple method for determining the IBU. There is a little more detailed discussion about this in the most recent issue of Brew Your Own Magzine.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:27 AM   #9
morrighu
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Dallas, TX

If you're looking for a way to determine the IBU's of your home grown hops, you should read this - http://home.netcom.com/~dluzanp/backyard.htm

It explains in detail how to use a sugar water titration to determine it.

HTH,

M.