Wood-Aged Beer StoneHedge, Oak Aged IPA (5-Gallon AG) - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Wood-Aged Beer StoneHedge, Oak Aged IPA (5-Gallon AG)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #21
GoNova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GoNova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Philadelphia
Posts: 125
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I've never had an issue with sanitation when it comes to brewer quality using wood chips. However, I do like to let them soak in just enough bourbon to cover them for a day or two. Then I toss the whole mess into the fermenter.
I brewed this recipe last weekend. Can't wait till it's ready. So, I need to soak the oak chips in bourbon?? If so, you might consider putting that detail in the recipe or else oak-newbies like me will not know to do it!

Thanks again for the recipe.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #22
Haputanlas
 
Haputanlas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 2,975
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by novabrew

I brewed this recipe last weekend. Can't wait till it's ready. So, I need to soak the oak chips in bourbon?? If so, you might consider putting that detail in the recipe or else oak-newbies like me will not know to do it!

Thanks again for the recipe.
If you don't want to add a liquor to the oak flavor, you can boil the chips in water in the microwave. Use a very small amount of water (just enough to cover the chips). You only need the microwave running on high for like 30 seconds.

Then let it cool for a minute and run the microwave once more.
__________________
"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #23
GoNova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GoNova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Philadelphia
Posts: 125
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
If you don't want to add a liquor to the oak flavor, you can boil the chips in water in the microwave. Use a very small amount of water (just enough to cover the chips). You only need the microwave running on high for like 30 seconds.

Then let it cool for a minute and run the microwave once more.
In the end, I decided not to soak them in bourbon. I was scared about the bourbon-liquor flavor coming through in the beer. So, I steamed the chips on the stove. The beer has been on the oak for almost 2 months now. I'll probably keg it this weekend.

Thanks for the reply.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
millsware
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Pittsburgh
Posts: 210
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts


I've been thinking of experimenting with FWH and oaking, so this recipe looks perfect. One question, I put the recipe into BrewTarget and it is only calculating 30.8 for the IBU's, what am I missing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
GoNova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GoNova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Philadelphia
Posts: 125
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by millsware View Post
I've been thinking of experimenting with FWH and oaking, so this recipe looks perfect. One question, I put the recipe into BrewTarget and it is only calculating 30.8 for the IBU's, what am I missing?
Mine is in the keg and carbing. The oak flavor is way stronger than I expected. Completely overpowers any hop flavor/bitterness. I have been mixing it with a very hoppy IPA I have on tap and that takes it about to where I had hoped it would turn out. I let mine sit on oak about two months. I guess that's too long for my taste. But I guess it's all about what you're looking for.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #26
tbeggs15
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Caldwell, Idaho
Posts: 61
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


This is a great idea I am going to give it a shot next weekend!! Thanks for the recipe!!!
__________________
Brewing it up!!

Favorite Beer Dagger Falls Sockeye Brewery in Boise, ID

Tyson Beggs

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #27
ckwatkins
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Windsor, Colorado
Posts: 41

I brewed this recipe back in December and have been enjoying it for the last two months. If you are on the fence about making it you better get off, this beer is awesome. I followed the recipe exactly as it was written, but switched to 2-Row for Marris Otter. Also, I soaked my once of oak in a couple shots of gin for a few weeks before dumping it in the secondary. I aged it on that ounce of medium oak cubes for 2 months and looking back I wish I would have done it a little bit longer. All in all, a great beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
labarr12
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Newport News, Virginia
Posts: 4

OK, so I'm a newbie at partial mash (I've only done extract kits in the past) and I am a little unclear on the timing.

I think I understand how to actually do the brewing (I have awesome instructions from a friend of mine!), but once the brewing is done...

The original recipe says dry hop 10 days and oak 28 days. So do I let my batch go through primary fermentation, transfer to another vessel to dry hop 10 days, then transfer to another to oak? So the secondary fermentation is actually done in 2 steps? And I don't have a kegging system, so how long should I bottle condition? The usual 4-6 weeks?

Thanks for all the info! I'm really looking forward to trying out this recipe!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #29
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,402
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by labarr12 View Post
OK, so I'm a newbie at partial mash (I've only done extract kits in the past) and I am a little unclear on the timing.

I think I understand how to actually do the brewing (I have awesome instructions from a friend of mine!), but once the brewing is done...

The original recipe says dry hop 10 days and oak 28 days. So do I let my batch go through primary fermentation, transfer to another vessel to dry hop 10 days, then transfer to another to oak? So the secondary fermentation is actually done in 2 steps? And I don't have a kegging system, so how long should I bottle condition? The usual 4-6 weeks?

Thanks for all the info! I'm really looking forward to trying out this recipe!
I think you got it all correct. Dry hopping should be its own process, as should the oak aging. Bottle condition this beer the way you normally would.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #30
SaevaVeritas
 
SaevaVeritas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 190
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


This looks incredible thanks for the OP its going to be a perfect fall brew...perhaps enjoyed around a camp fire!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oak aged in oxygenated aged wine bunt1828 General Techniques 4 06-13-2015 03:32 AM
Oregon 15 gallon, 13 gallon, 7.5 gallon, 5 gallon corny kegs, 1/6 sankes and 3" ss tower Silentdrinker For Sale 7 02-07-2015 03:52 PM
Carboy Aged vs. Bottle Aged? jdahl1289 General Techniques 8 05-14-2013 04:33 AM
8 Gallon Batch - 10 Gallon Kettle - (2) 5 Gallon Carboys BassBeer Extract Brewing 6 10-07-2012 08:23 PM
Can you taste the difference between a short aged lager and a long aged lager? Tmeister All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 01-05-2010 09:32 PM


Forum Jump