Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help....needs lemon

Old 05-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
Ewalk02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Help....needs lemon

I just pulled a pint off of my newly carbonated wheat beer and realized that it needs something else. It tastes good but a little too "plain" so I added a slice of lemon to my pint and nailed it on the head. My question is how do I go about adding lemons to my 5 gallon keg without getting an infection? Soak in vodka?? How many lemons do you think it will take? One slice (1/8) of a lemon was good for a pint. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 859 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just kinda guessing here, but if you would like to add some lemon to your keg...I vote go for it. I would simply bleed off the pressure in the keg, maybe a few times over a few hours. Chill a couple of lemons, cut them in half and squeeze them into the keg, at this stage in the process, i feel that the risk of infection is low. the beer is cold and fresh lemon juice I would guess is fairly "bug" resistant.

Additionally, if the keg is kept cold this should keep any nasties in check. How long do plan on serving this stuff anyway?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you are looking for a citrus type flavor, how about dry-hopping your wheat beer with a citrusy hop? While dry hopping mostly affects aroma, aroma affects taste. I put 1/2 ounce of Amarillo in my wheat beer, and it smell good (still needs another week in the keg until I taste it).

Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 704 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Don't add citrus fruit or juice directly to your keg. It will taste great for about a day, then probably go a little rancid.

Instead, either try McK's suggestion, or boil about 1 Tbsp of lemon rind in 1 cup of water for about 5 minutes. Cool, and add this "tea" to the keg a little bit at a time until you reach the desired flavor profile.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Don't add citrus fruit or juice directly to your keg. It will taste great for about a day, then probably go a little rancid.

Instead, either try McK's suggestion, or boil about 1 Tbsp of lemon rind in 1 cup of water for about 5 minutes. Cool, and add this "tea" to the keg a little bit at a time until you reach the desired flavor profile.
I agree, or you could add the lemon peel to some vodka and wait a few days - but the boil method should be quicker.

I don't think the peels would go rancid though, they would be in a refridgerated keg right? I've added them, for too long though, directly into a saison in secondary and it turned out fine(needed time to mellow though).

Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 704 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Lemon peel alone should be ok. It's just the flesh of the fruit or the juice that you want to avoid.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Ewalk02
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be boiling some lemon peels tonight!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
JustMrWill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lemon extract? Never tried..but was going to add some to my first wheat ale...I would suggest to GO SLOWLY a drop at a time...

-JMW

"Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain. Quantist thoughts queerest fancies, Come to life and fade away: What care I how time advances? I am drinking ale today." Edgar Allan Poe

Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'd be tempted to buy a new bottle of lemon juice and use that. It in all likelihood has been pastuerized. I'd crack open a fresh bottle, measure some into a glass and add your beer. Try this several times to adjust the flavor to your taste and then scale it up.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I've never done this but I'd bet you could just add the zest of few lemons to the fermenter after fermentation has subsided.