Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Dunkelweizen

Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #31
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I brewed this about a month ago. I used 1 oz Black Patent instead of Carafa Special and Wyeast Wheinstephaner for the yeast. It turned out pretty good. A very smooth Dunkel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #32
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

anyone think this would turn out well using a wit yeast?
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #33
pbuelow
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm just working this up for a 2.5 gallon batch (I ferment in Mr. Beer kegs for space reasons), and am wondering if the Wyeast 3068 will work, and if so, should I use half the pouch? While reading the 3068 notes, it says that too much can cause sulfur and too much attenuation. I don't generally use Wyeast, so I don't have a lot of experience. But I go to Germany a lot, Munich and north of Frankfurt, so I love the Dunkel and Weissen that's all over. I'm trying to get there, and will try this recipe as well as a few others until I find the one I really like. Thoughts?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #34
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuelow View Post
I'm just working this up for a 2.5 gallon batch (I ferment in Mr. Beer kegs for space reasons), and am wondering if the Wyeast 3068 will work, and if so, should I use half the pouch? While reading the 3068 notes, it says that too much can cause sulfur and too much attenuation. I don't generally use Wyeast, so I don't have a lot of experience. But I go to Germany a lot, Munich and north of Frankfurt, so I love the Dunkel and Weissen that's all over. I'm trying to get there, and will try this recipe as well as a few others until I find the one I really like. Thoughts?
I think you will be ok using the entire pack. This is still one of the best recipes I have brewed.

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #35
mrsunshades
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I understand that this is a single infusion recipe, but was concerned about the "before additional infusions" part - is that just the standard layout of the Promash report?
Basically, what Im asking is : is it a single infusion of 3.5 gal to the grist to get it to 152 for an hour, and then a mash out to 168? Since I'm using a igloo picnic cooler I would have to add hot water to get the mash out temp - is this OK?
Thanks!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #36
tjash
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Planning to brew this up this weekend, but would like to darken it a bit, within guidelines. Maybe closer to 20-22 SRM. What would you recommend I change to accomplish that? Use a darker crystal? Crystal 60 maybe? Or would that impact the flavor too much? Any tips would be appreciated! I could probably figure this out at home by playing with Beersmith, but it's in my head now and I'm stuck at work. Help!

[edit: playing around with an SRM calculator online; looks like changing to crystal 60 would have minimal impact. Increasing the Carafa Special (III?) to 0.25 lbs. gets me in the ballpark, but is that going to have a big impact on taste or texture?]

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #37
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default gona give this a try

I am putting this into Beersmith now and plan to brew in the next week or so. I have a Danstar Munich dry yeast that I am going to use.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #38
Welderbydaybrewerbynight
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this on Saturday was a little low on my OG, I forgot to buy some pilsner malt from the good lhbs while I was there so I ran to the other one that sells more pot growing supplies than beer making and there crush really sucks. Didn't notice it till I was long gone oh well, used Pearle hops since I have lbs of them and the wlp300 yeast. Trying to keep my ferm temps down around 62 to avoid to much of the banana flavor. thanks for the recipe.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #39
mrsunshades
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Question about decoction and this recipe:
OK - this is just what we've been looking for. My friend requested a dunkelweizen and we're gonna brew it up ..
My question is if I wanted to do a simple decoction at the end to raise to mash-out temp,
how much should we pull out to raise to a boil and then stir back into the mash to raise to 168?
Thanks for a great recipe - I'll post how it comes out.
Stewart

Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #40
browder
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Good recipe--did two batches in December & one last weekend--just started on the first keg a couple days ago tastes great-won't last long--used Mt. Hood in the last batch should taste pretty good--if you haven't tried this give it a chance you won't be disappointed