Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Different Extracts/malt help?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Kiwi_Jonno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Different Extracts/malt help?

Am wondering about all the different IPA recipes I see floating around. The beers iv made are ALL one type of extract. Say Amber Liq Malt Extract, or Light liq malt extract.

I see recipes and my homebrew store online sells say Crystal malt and chocolate malt, English Pale Malt etc. Is this the same - eg extract, or is this grain that needs to be in bags etc (tricky !).

Im wondering also if these ale yeasts are ok ... Safale Yeast, Gervin Ale Yeast , Muntons Premium Gold Yeast, Black Rock Yeast or what one is best for IPA?

If anyone has a minute the page I saw these (NZ) is here...

http://www.yourshout.co.nz/beer.html.

Am mostly just wondering about the extract(s) and yeast rather then a recipe. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Those malts you mentioned are grains. If your looking to use dry ale yeast Safale and Nottingham are good ones.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh damn I didn't wanna use grains. If your just using extract, is LME better then DME? Does it make a difference which you use, or if you use both?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Your beer will move into a whole different world even with just steeping some grain and adding it to the rest of your extract brew. The taste will improve greatly and you will have better control over the color and taste of your beer. I have always used DME simply because that is what was available at my LHBS.

But a better question is, why dont you want to use grains? You dont even have to crush or mill them if you are just adding them for color or minimal flavor.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28
Your beer will move into a whole different world even with just steeping some grain and adding it to the rest of your extract brew. The taste will improve greatly and you will have better control over the color and taste of your beer. I have always used DME simply because that is what was available at my LHBS.

But a better question is, why dont you want to use grains? You dont even have to crush or mill them if you are just adding them for color or minimal flavor.
I guess because I dont know too much about them, and am just getting my head around the boiling extract/adding hop side of it. Doesn't the wort need to be a specific temp etc when you add grains?

Iv been reading John Palmers online guide. All the recipes there have both LME and DME. Am wondering also if this is for a reason, eg not just using one type.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #6
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You don't need to use both LME and DME, you can use one or the other. I've heard people say that it's easier to get fresh DME than fresh LME, as it degrades quicker. This might be a good reason for you to choose DME. (Then again, maybe the LME you get is very fresh).

As for grains----------->seriously, don't worry! Just steep them like you're making tea. Add them to the water you're heating up for the wort and take them out when it gets around 70c or 160F. Then boil and add the extract as usual. You truly will get a much tastier beer that you'll love. Have no fear. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk
You don't need to use both LME and DME, you can use one or the other. I've heard people say that it's easier to get fresh DME than fresh LME, as it degrades quicker. This might be a good reason for you to choose DME. (Then again, maybe the LME you get is very fresh).

As for grains----------->seriously, don't worry! Just steep them like you're making tea. Add them to the water you're heating up for the wort and take them out when it gets around 70c or 160F. Then boil and add the extract as usual. You truly will get a much tastier beer that you'll love. Have no fear. Good luck!
Hmm well seems easy enough. So do you "steep" the grains in the boiling water (before adding extract)? As you normally add the malt extract once the water has reached boiling point, and this would be too hot for the grains?

So by steeping, do I dunk the grain in and out of the water? Am guessing it would take about ten min for the water to go from room temp to 70*C?

Thanks for any help, sorry if the Q's sound dump!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 AM   #8
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I see for example on John Palmers site this recipe I wanna do next....but with NZ available hops prob.

8 lbs. of Pale Malt Extract (syrup) OR 7 lbs. of Pale Malt LME
1/2 lb. of Crystal 120L Malt OR 2 lbs. of Amber DME

2 oz of Galena (11%) at 60 minutes
2 oz of East Kent Goldings (5%) at 15 min.
1 oz of East Kent Goldings (5%) at 5 min.

I see the crystal grains are available in my town, but what is the 120L mean? another IPA on this John Palmer page (http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-3.html) has 60L. The recipe also doesn't give times with the grains etc :-(

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Jonno
I see the crystal grains are available in my town, but what is the 120L mean? another IPA on this John Palmer page (http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-3.html) has 60L. The recipe also doesn't give times with the grains etc :-(
I always steep my grains from "room temperature" to 170F. Then I pull them, let them drain and continue heating my water. No dunking, pulling out, etc. just let them sit in a grain bag.

The 120L is the color. Crystal Malts come in many "colors" from 10L and goes higher. You want to get as close as you can to 60L if that is what the recipe calls for.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm new to this too, and trust me if you can boil water and pour pre-crushed grains into a sack you can use specialty grains. Super simple, only adds 1 step to the entire water heating process. As was said, stick them in the mesh bag, dangle them in the water, heat for a bit, remove. Enjoy! Kyle