Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Can I keg bottled beer?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Can I keg bottled beer?

I have a Red that's been in the bottles for coming up on 4 weeks. There is no sign of carbonation (it's been sitting at 65-68 degrees). I'd like to excersize some patience and wait it out another week, but if there is still nothing fizzing by then, is it ok to pour what I have into a keg and force carb it? I'd imagine there is some risk of contamination, but aside from there is there any reason this is not a good idea? Thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6009 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 1545

Contamination wouldn't be an issue (you'd sanitize the keg), but oxidation would be a huge issue. Opening and pouring would aerate the heck out of it.

You could try opening each bottle and adding a pinch of yeast (like one grain) if you think that's the issue. I assume it was primed in the usual way, with priming sugar?

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 703 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Somewhere around here, there's a thread a lot like this one. Oxidation will certainly be your primary concern, but a few HBT'ers claim success with kegging bottled beer. I don't recall that they took any huge precautions - they just carefully poured the bottled beer into their kegs.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
skydelta34
Recipes 

I think if I was going to attempt this, I would open the bottles and pour them slowly in a bottling bucket, making sure I held them as close to the bottom or top of the surface of the liquid as possible, then I would run a tube from the spigot to the bottom of the keg and fill the keg.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Definitely primed with dextrose as normal. I really don't want to bother with more yeast, so I will try the bottle-bucket-keg method. The Red is one of the beers being given to my Groomsmen as gifts, so it'd be nice if it wasn't flat. Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sounds like time is of the essence!! It seems a lot of homebrewers incorporate their hobby into their wedding. I am planning on putting a few bottles with a fancy label on each table as party favors.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 04-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i have done this before with no ill effects. I basically just took a beer pitcher i had handy and emptied the flat bottles into the pitcher as easy as possible. Then i poured it into the keg by the pitcher in an attempt to reduce the number of times i was "sloshing" beer into the keg.

Worked fine for me.