Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Are whole leaf hop worth the trouble
Old 05-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 134 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Der Hopgezeignet

Boy this is too good of an idea.... Here's mine!!

I plan to use it Saturday with my 10gal Barleywine. Using whole hops: 4oz Chinook & 6 oz Nugget!!! 120AAU's

Sitting purdy on my keggle

Lookin' down

Thanks for the idea!!!

Time to go get 10oz of summit hops!!!

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|
Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
Look under the recliner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 199 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Originally Posted by JustMrWill
Do you use a hop bag just for whole/leaf hops or also with pellets? Is the 5 gal paint strainer fine enough to hold the pellet hop sludge in? I was trying to figure out a way to avoid the "pouring through the screen in the funnel" and this looks like it would work...unfortunately, I have only used pellets/plugs...

sorry if this is off topic.

Yes to both. I used to use a 5 gal paint strainer, but in the reverse fashion, not to put the hops in, but to exclude them when draining the boil pot. I rigged up a device to support the bag and my uptake was inside that. It worked too well. For my lagers I like to recirculate through my plate chiller back to the pot until I'm down to 120F and then send it to my boil pot. Even with the large surface area it would plug up a little. It was so effiecinet at removing the break material I ended up starving my yeast a little. I've now switched to a less fine stainless mesh. I doesn't stop all of the break, but what gets past the filter is small enough that it won't clog my plate chiller.
On Tap: Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), CZ Pils, Maibock,
Kegged and Aging/Lagering:CAP, CAP II, Wheat lager, Imperial Pilsner, Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), light beer - yes, light beer, Belgian IPA, IPA,
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition