Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Temp in secondary

Old 07-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
GunnerMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info, WBC it was my understanding when you put your beer in the secondary fermentation should be all but stoped, I thought temperature control was only crucial during the first stages of fermentation.

Thanks on the heads up about the water bottles, I had them sittin in the garage so I figured I would utilize them as secondarys mainly so I could be brewing more batches.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
WBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerMan View Post
Thanks for the info, WBC it was my understanding when you put your beer in the secondary fermentation should be all but stoped, I thought temperature control was only crucial during the first stages of fermentation.
Temperature should be close to the fermentation. What I am trying to say is that after fermenting at 66F you should not put it out in a 90F garage. Beer is a living thing that has yeast in it and you should treat it as such. The reason for lower fermentation temps during the first 3 days is because you want to prevent excessive esters from being produced. A secondary fermenter is not needed at all for ales because they are not in that vessel very long as compared to lagers.

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”