Hi I'm a Idiot Driver RANT! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Hi I'm a Idiot Driver RANT!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
brauhaus

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Susquehanna Valley, PA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So, every morning I have the pleasure of driving 45mins to an hour on my commute to work. And every morning I encounter the same idiots.

There is the idiot who rides directly on the tailgate of a large dump truck, or tractor trailer... clearly not visible to the driver of the truck, they insist on riding the trucks ass in an effort to make the truck go faster? Then they probably are the very first person to call the company of the truck when a rock flies up and cracks their windshield.

Last week at 3am I was called out for an accident involving a Tractor Trailer and a car. The driver of the car was tailgating the tractor trailer so close that the truck driver had no idea that the car was behind him. The tractor trailer went to exit the highway when the car driver decided he was going to pass the truck on the shoulder.. yes the shoulder.

The car ran under the back of the trailer, and the truck driver ended up driving an additional 3 miles before he noticed that there was sparks coming from the trailer... he was shocked to find not a flat tire, but a CAR STUCK under his trailer.

We had to use hydraulic cutters and separators to remove the driver from the car.

Luckily a trustworthy and honest citizen witnessed the whole thing and was willing to give a statement to the police and everyone on scene.

Please, for the sake of your life and for others, do not tailgate tractor trailers, the signs on the truck that say: "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN'T SEE YOU" are there for a reason.

Also, here's to the asshat who rides your ass and then passes you only to get to the redlight first.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 04-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Grand Ledge, Mich
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
So, every morning I have the pleasure of driving 45mins to an hour on my commute to work. And every morning I encounter the same idiots.

There is the idiot who rides directly on the tailgate of a large dump truck, or tractor trailer... clearly not visible to the driver of the truck, they insist on riding the trucks ass in an effort to make the truck go faster? Then they probably are the very first person to call the company of the truck when a rock flies up and cracks their windshield.

Last week at 3am I was called out for an accident involving a Tractor Trailer and a car. The driver of the car was tailgating the tractor trailer so close that the truck driver had no idea that the car was behind him. The tractor trailer went to exit the highway when the car driver decided he was going to pass the truck on the shoulder.. yes the shoulder.

The car ran under the back of the trailer, and the truck driver ended up driving an additional 3 miles before he noticed that there was sparks coming from the trailer... he was shocked to find not a flat tire, but a CAR STUCK under his trailer.

We had to use hydraulic cutters and separators to remove the driver from the car.

Luckily a trustworthy and honest citizen witnessed the whole thing and was willing to give a statement to the police and everyone on scene.

Please, for the sake of your life and for others, do not tailgate tractor trailers, the signs on the truck that say: "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN'T SEE YOU" are there for a reason.

Also, here's to the asshat who rides your ass and then passes you only to get to the redlight first.
I drive truck for a living and this irritates me, I have two big signs on the back of my trailer, one states this vehicle makes wide right turns, however people still try to sneak around beside me when I swing out for a turn. The second signs states If you cant see my mirrors, I cant see you. There are to many people on the road that are very uncourteous to trucks.If every truck shut down for one day this country would turn into chaos I wish people learned that we are in our office just like they are and they wouldn't want me coming to there office and pulling up a chair right behind them and sitting there or me standing up and reaching in front of them while they are typing or doing paperwork. But I guess they will never learn.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Philip1993
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus

As long as there was no damage to the trailer, I don't see this as a negative thing. Sure, it sucks that you guys had to roll out at 3am, but think of the benefits to the gene pool...

Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK
There are to many people on the road that are very uncourteous to trucks.
I'm not here to debate whether riding a truck's a$$ is dangerous or not, the simple answer to that is yes.

However, in light of your statement above, there are plenty of trucks on the road that are very uncourteous to the cars b/c they feel they are huge and can do whatever they want...

I'm not sure how many times per day I count trucks here in PA driving in the passing lane AND NOT PASSING A SOUL FOR 1/2 mile, 1 mile, or even up to 5 miles. It's a passing lane, not a driving lane. You know, "slower traffic keep right"? They'll let a line of 15 cars clog up behind them (obviously they can see at least some of them in their mirrors) and never get over b/c they feel they are in the right to drive in that lane. GET THE FARK OVER!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as soon as you go to pass them in the right lane, then they cut you off and get over, go figure... I can totally understand why people ride a trucks a$$ now that I think about it. I am not stupid enough to do it and sit right where I can't be seen, but I've done it and poke out to the left or right as far as it takes for them to see me. However, this would all be resolved if they would just be courteous to the driver and move their slow-a$$. please note, I have no problem with truckers who drive in the passing lane and actually pass, and get over when they can... but that is only about 50% of the truckers I see on a day to day basis.

Another example that just occurred last evening on my commute home. There is a stretch of highway here that is 2-lanes and becomes 3 near an exit that is a "wrap-around". This third lane is the exit lane and is literally signed about 3/4 to 1 full mile or more before the exit. In fact, it is a solid white line (e.g. DO NOT CROSS you a$$-lick) for at least 1/2 mile. A rig decided it was his right to enter this exit lane literally AT THE EXIT (e.g. 1/64th of a mile, 100ft) while there was a backlog of cars back to where the solid white line began. He just swung it over there causing all kinds of braking chaos and whatnot b/c he couldn't read the signs and then thought he was large enough that any car would just let him in. Luckily I was back further in the exit lane. I can tell you one thing, stupid or not, I would have let him and his company buy me a new vehicle had I been the car that was beside him when he illegally swung into that lane. I would have had plenty of witnesses... like literally 30-50+...

So, it's not just the small-car and SUV drivers here that cause the problems, but also the truckers...

End Mini-Rant

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
RICLARK

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Grand Ledge, Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringBrewer
I'm not here to debate whether riding a truck's a$$ is dangerous or not, the simple answer to that is yes.

However, in light of your statement above, there are plenty of trucks on the road that are very uncourteous to the cars b/c they feel they are huge and can do whatever they want...

I'm not sure how many times per day I count trucks here in PA driving in the passing lane AND NOT PASSING A SOUL FOR 1/2 mile, 1 mile, or even up to 5 miles. It's a passing lane, not a driving lane. You know, "slower traffic keep right"? They'll let a line of 15 cars clog up behind them (obviously they can see at least some of them in their mirrors) and never get over b/c they feel they are in the right to drive in that lane. GET THE FARK OVER!

Another example that just occurred last evening on my commute home. There is a stretch of highway here that is 2-lanes and becomes 3 near an exit that is a "wrap-around". This third lane is the exit lane and is literally signed about 3/4 to 1 full mile or more before the exit. In fact, it is a solid white line (e.g. DO NOT CROSS you a$$-lick) for at least 1/2 mile. A rig decided it was his right to enter this exit lane literally AT THE EXIT (e.g. 1/64th of a mile, 100ft) while there was a backlog of cars back to where the solid white line began. He just swung it over there causing all kinds of braking chaos and whatnot b/c he couldn't read the signs and then thought he was large enough that any car would just let him in. Luckily I was back further in the exit lane. I can tell you one thing, stupid or not, I would have let him and his company buy me a new vehicle had I been the car that was beside him when he illegally swung into that lane. I would have had plenty of witnesses... like literally 30-50+...

So, it's not just the small-car and SUV drivers here that cause the problems, but also the truckers...
Do you know why when trucks get in the right lane and dont go anywhere? its because some trucks are governed at a certain speed. When they get out next to another truck that is going 64 1/2 and there governed at 65 it takes a while. You live in Penn and the speed limit is 65 if I remember correctley, nobody would have any problems if they went the same speed. as far as the truck exting the freeway illegally that is his problem and its people like him that give good drivers a bad rap. I have well over half a million miles driving just in a truck and never been in a wreck in one, but 98% of all close calls I have had are cause by stupid 4 wheelers.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
If every truck shut down for one day this country would turn into chaos...
Not sure how to take this comment? Obviously we need truckers in order to deliver goods, etc. and for society to operate as it does. Thus, it would be chaos as far as grocery stores being low on food, etc.

However, if you are talking about the highway being chaos, again, totally disagree. I see just as many crazy-a$$ truck drivers causing problems as I do crazy-a$$ drivers in sports cars, large sedans, or SUVs.

The problem with a "Mack truck" is:

a) it's huge so anything it does is multiplied by about 10 as its equal to about 10 cars. You cut into the lane illegally like the truck did last night, about 10 cars were at risk of being hit had they not braked, swerved, etc. I mean com'on. If a car had done it, they might take out one car. If a truck hits you from behind, your at risk of being killed, whereas a car hits you from behind in most cases its a small fender bender. Etc.

b) it can't accelerate like it needs to (takes 20 seconds to get to 60) in traffic

c) can't climb inclines (related to b) [but still tries to do it in the 'fast lane']

d) it can't brake like it needs to (in many cases taking out cars in its path)

e) it can't turn like it needs to (in many cases rolling off the side of bridges or closing highways for hours while the clean up the mess they made)

So, in summary. Trucks suck. I think if you yanked all the trucks, the highway would be much more smooth flowing. Still not perfect, but better...

End Mini-Rant 2

Old 04-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

It's getting a bit harsh in here, you all might want to re-think what you are saying, esp. when it's knocking the way someone else puts food on the table.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Do you know why when trucks get in the right lane and dont go anywhere? its because some trucks are governed at a certain speed. When they get out next to another truck that is going 64 1/2 and there governed at 65 it takes a while. You live in Penn and the speed limit is 65 if I remember correctley, nobody would have any problems if they went the same speed. as far as the truck exting the freeway illegally that is his problem and its people like him that give good drivers a bad rap. I have well over half a million miles driving just in a truck and never been in a wreck in one, but 98% of all close calls I have had are cause by stupid 4 wheelers.
If trucks are governed, then I don't see many of them. I see plenty of trucks chugging along at 75-80-85mph. Scary too as a 80mph 18 wheeler hitting something has a little more impact than an 85mph Kia.

But I'll take your word for it since you are a truck-driver. IMO that governed truck should RARELY be in the passing lane though. He has the right to be there if he is PASSING a car going 55mph, yes. But if he is going to travel there at 65mph and that's all the faster he can go, and all the traffic in the normal lane is also going 65, then it is just plain uncourteous. Like I've said...

You can claim, "noone should drive faster than the speed limit of 65mph anyway and there wouldn't be a problem", but that is just a preposterous argument. It's just completely illogical and inaccurate. It doesn't happen. It's a myth. Yes, the speed limit is 65mph, but you can safely travel a 2-lane highway at at least 75mph or even more safely and that's why people do it. At the very least, people should be able to go 70-75mph to get past the truck that is obstructing its view, throwing diesel smog fumes back at you, etc. Anyway, arguing everyone should just obey the speedlimit is ludicrous. Even cops agree and that's why cops don't enforce 65mph until you hit 80mph... I mean, come'on, be realistic.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
It's getting a bit harsh in here, you all might want to re-think what you are saying, esp. when it's knocking the way someone else puts food on the table.
I'm not knocking him personally, or his profession in general. I'm knocking those same people he has claimed, "give a bad name to truck drivers".

The problem is (and the reason it seems I'm knocking an entire profession) that those people are about 50% of truck drivers on the road.

If he drives his truck in the manner he has relayed, then I have zero problem with him...

Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
RICLARK

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Grand Ledge, Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringBrewer
Not sure how to take this comment? Obviously we need truckers in order to deliver goods, etc. and for society to operate as it does. Thus, it would be chaos as far as grocery stores being low on food, etc.

However, if you are talking about the highway being chaos, again, totally disagree. I see just as many crazy-a$$ truck drivers causing problems as I do crazy-a$$ drivers in sports cars, large sedans, or SUVs.

The problem with a "Mack truck" is:

a) it's huge so anything it does is multiplied by about 10 as its equal to about 10 cars. You cut into the lane illegally like the truck did last night, about 10 cars were at risk of being hit had they not braked, swerved, etc. I mean com'on. If a car had done it, they might take out one car. If a truck hits you from behind, your at risk of being killed, whereas a car hits you from behind in most cases its a small fender bender. Etc.

b) it can't accelerate like it needs to (takes 20 seconds to get to 60) in traffic

c) can't climb inclines (related to b) [but still tries to do it in the 'fast lane']

d) it can't brake like it needs to (in many cases taking out cars in its path)

e) it can't turn like it needs to (in many cases rolling off the side of bridges or closing highways for hours while the clean up the mess they made)

So, in summary. Trucks suck. I think if you yanked all the trucks, the highway would be much more smooth flowing. Still not perfect, but better...

End Mini-Rant 2
I was reffering to if trucks shut down for a day you would have no gas/fuel deliveries, no food deliveries, no trash pick up, no cars would be towed from accidents or from the side of the road,etc.

What is ample acceleration time when you weigh 48,000 lbs and up?

How would you feel pulling a grade and you have to be stuck behind another truck that cant pull the grade as well and when it is all said and done your at 25mph at the top of the hill because you didn't want to move over in front of a car that can vastley regain speed.

I have no clue what the hell your talking about on letter E, If you make a turn you should slow down no matter what your in.

Maybe you should go down and get a book and get your CDL then go drive for a month and see how you get a long with all the little cars on the road that are always in a hurry to go nowhere.

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com