Mold in extract - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Mold in extract

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
-Dan-
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Florida
Posts: 480
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Hi everyone!

I received my 2nd order from AHS the other day and decided to brew it today. Started was made last night, grain just came out of the pot and I was ready to pour the extract into my brewpot. When I opened the little bucket they send you, the first thing I discovered was mold! Small little bubbles/spots swimming on top and sitting inside the lid. I was slightly irritated to say the least. Well, honestly I didn’t really have a choice since all other ingredients besides hops were already “wasted” so I scooped the mold off a little bit and poured all extract into the brewpot.

Has anyone tried to brew with infected (guess you can say that) extract before? There was not a whole lot, but enough to see it right away and to get my worried. Mold does not belong in extract. I wanted to take a picture but couldn’t find my camera.

I’m not trying to rant against AHS, even though it was only my 2nd order and the 2nd order with an issue (the first time I found a screw in my extract), but I am really irritated about the mold. Does the heat “kill” the mold? I’m wondering if I should even made an attempted to ferment or just dump everything.

Thanks

 
Old 04-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TexLaw's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,672
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts


Boiling the wort certainly will kill off the mold and any spores. If you just had some of the little dots of mold, I would not expect any problems from the mold. I've never dealt with extract that had mold on it, though. I also would be somewhat miffed to receive it.


TL
__________________
Beer is good for anything from hot dogs to heartache.

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

 
Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
NWernBrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Burien, WA
Posts: 619
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


That happened to me - I bought it bulk and got delayed on the brewing for some time and by the time I opened it back up it had molded. I worried and fretted about it and ended up using it as I really had few options.

I had to throw all the beer out and it ruined my fermenter. My brother tasted the hydrometer sample and spent 3 weeks in the hospital from intestinal bacterial infection and we had bottle bombs...
























Just joking - we could never tell that the LME was anything but fine in the finished product.
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

 
Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
-Dan-
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Florida
Posts: 480
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Looks like I will join him soon.
__________________
Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

 
Old 04-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
Donasay
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Boston
Posts: 1,567
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


I have also brewed with moldy lme, don't worry to much about it, the sugar content of the lme keeps the mold from growing anywhere but the surface of the jug or bucket, Just scrape off the top layer and toss the rest in.
__________________
No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

 
Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Donasay
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Boston
Posts: 1,567
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NWernBrewer
That happened to me - I bought it bulk and got delayed on the brewing for some time and by the time I opened it back up it had molded. I worried and fretted about it and ended up using it as I really had few options.

I had to throw all the beer out and it ruined my fermenter. My brother tasted the hydrometer sample and spent 3 weeks in the hospital from intestinal bacterial infection and we had bottle bombs...

Just joking - we could never tell that the LME was anything but fine in the finished product.
That has to be one of the best quotes ever, especially for the newbies, I am going to have to remember to use that some time on the next Is my batch ruined thread....
__________________
No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

 
Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
Hagen
 
Hagen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Spotsylvania, VA
Posts: 392
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I was about to call BS on NW and then I scrolled down...
__________________
Too much too fast to keep track of...

 
Old 04-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Wade E's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Middlebury, Ct.
Posts: 818
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Just watching the History Channel and they are talking about Copper. Copper in itself is an Anti-Microbial substance. Basically almost any bacteria is killed on it within 50 minutes. They still arent sure what it is about copper that does it but they think it actually changes its DNA! Kind of cool but also scares me that we really dont know what it could be doing to us if thats the case. Egyptians were the 1st to use it for plumbing. Theyre also saying that Hospitals are going to start using it for door handles and the such for sanitary purposes. 90% of all copper is recycled. They dont recycle it for electrical use though as copper wire has to 99.99% pure for conductive reasons and to bring it back to that state after recycling is not economical.

 
Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Odd...I wouldn't expect mold on extract from AHS considering what seems to be a pretty high turnover on their stock. Either way:

"Molds and yeasts can grow on the surface of containers of liquid malt extract that have been opened. One would figure that if the fungi can grow on the surface they should be able to grow throughout the bulk of the LME, but they don’t. The reason for this is that the AW of foods products is not homogeneous once the package has been opened because water from the air (humidity) changes the AW at the food-air interface. This is why LME can have mold colonies form on the surface. Covering the surface with vodka is one way to keep the surface clean. Another method is to repackage your 15 kilograms of LME in convenient sized portions using zipper storage bags so that the air can be eliminated from the headspace of the bag, keeping the AW homogeneous."
http://www.byo.com/mrwizard/1708.html

 
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Franzi
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 135
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


If AHS is as great as everybody claims, they should at least refund you or hook you up with a free can of extract.

 
Closed Thread
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mold in malt extract thanegan Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 05-29-2012 11:45 AM
Mold on Extract Crash 2006 Extract Brewing 8 03-02-2009 11:46 PM
wheat malt extract mold (normal)? Crash 2006 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 12-31-2008 10:57 PM
Mold in extract WhyTee Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 07-14-2008 06:29 PM
Old Extract kit, may have mold. Schmitz Extract Brewing 4 10-19-2007 11:30 PM


Forum Jump