Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Copper Perforated False Bottom?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would wait and get a SS false-bottom. IMHO you will be happy you did. Use the copper sheet for a decorative accent on your brewstand.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
jds

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
People who have copper manifolds & chillers take great pains to clean them before use. Copper oxides do not taste good.

I think you would have big trouble cleaning the holes.
I don't take any great pains to clean my chiller before use. I hose it off and put it in boiling wort. That's it. Yes, there is some oxide on the copper before use, and yes, it does come out of the wort cleaner than when it went in (meaning some of that oxide got in the beer).

However, I've never had a problem taste-wise. Copper has been a component of plumbing and brewing systems for many years, and I'm willing to accept any risk associated with its use.

I would guess that with proper support, the copper sheet should work just fine as a false bottom. Lots of people have copper in contact with stainless at multiple points in their home breweries (Keggle dip tubes, for example), with few galvanic corrosion problems. The intermittent use mitigates a lot of the galvanic corrosion issues. If those same parts were in constant use, then there would be a lot more potential for problems.

Is this a keg MLT or a cooler MLT?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think that you would be just fine using the copper. As for cleaning it. You should be cleaning it before every use anyway. I have a lot of copper in my system, and I will be honest. I like being lazy. So cleaning has to be simple or I will not do it. A little star san goes a long way. It really is no different for stainless guys. If you don't want to use star san, then water and vinegar will do the job in minutes. Besides I think a false bottom out of copper would look awesome and if you gave it some dome, supporting your grain weight would be no problem. For all of you nay sayers out there, there are plenty of breweries that use cast iron mash tuns and boil kettles in europe. Most would agree that copper is better than straight up iron. I would also bet that most people would give a dozen reasons why another material is better. If you can make good beer with a copper bottom, and you like it, then why not? That is my two cents.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 04-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
keiths

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
People who have copper manifolds & chillers take great pains to clean them before use. Copper oxides do not taste good.

I think you would have big trouble cleaning the holes.
why would the holes on a copper manifold be easer to clean then a flat false bottom?