Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > equipment question

Old 04-23-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
sepe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default equipment question

I had an old Mr. Beer 7.5 gallon fermentor but I guess that it was getting a bit too old. The fermentor got bumped over and it looked like the airlock must've taken a hit. The lid and the airlock broke.

I'm wondering what would be better to pick up from one of the LHBS shops. www.homebrewit.com is a website of a shop that is like 35 minutes from me. I was thinking about picking up a couple of the ale pails(with the spigot). They've got a kit with 2 6.5 gallon ale pails(fermentor and a bottling bucket), easy clean no rinse cleaner, airlock, siphon and bottling setup, beermaking book, hydrometer, bottle brush, twin lever capper, liquid crystal thermometer, bucket clip, and instructions for $64.15 after taxes. Does this sound like a pretty good setup to start with?

I'm thinking a similar kit from the other LHBS was close to the same price(I've got to go back there to get more grolsch bottles...16 oz bottles for $.50 in perfect shape). I'm planning on calling them in the morning to get an exact price.

I know I'll have a much better setup than the Mr. Beer kit. Anyway, here is what will be my first batch.

John Bull Pre-hopped Wheat beer kit 1.8kg
John Bull Wheat Syrup 1.6kg
Windsor yeast satchet
LD Carlson blueberry extract flavoring(will use in the last half of bottling to have half blueberry wheat/half wheat batch)
I've got my corn sugar ~ 1lb.

I've got one step and some BTF iodophor sanitizer.

Do I look like I'll be in business after junking out the Mr. Beer and getting some buckets?

Old 04-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

get the kit. its so worth it to have everythign working and in one place.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It sounds like a good deal. It'll definitely get you going. y\You may also want to consider adding a 5gal carboy or better bottle.