Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long is to long in secondary
Old 04-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How long is to long in secondary

Hi guys,

I have a batch that did about 3 weeks in primary and has been in a secondary for close to a month now. I was only going to do 2 weeks in secondary but I didn't have time to bottle it.

Is 4 weeks to long in a secondary? It is a AHS Amber Ale.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
I love lamp!

Too long in the secondary would be many months from now. Even then it would probably be just fine. 4 weeks should be no problem.

Squirrel House Brewing
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2911 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 3534

You will now have very very clear beer! Good Job!
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Old 04-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

1 month is nothing. I've kept beers in secondary for 4+ months and they turned out great.
And now we go AG!

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter
Old 04-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #5

When I traveled for work, I left a beer for 5 weeks in the primary! that is supposed to cause autolysis (dying yeast) and give it a waxy flavor, but it never did.

In the secondary you've racked the beer off of the majority of dead yeast cells and as long as you kept it out of the light and away from oxygen, one month will actually be very good for your beer. you should be ready to drink as soon as it primes in the bottled and will have a smoother aged taste.

Phat Tyre Amber Ale
The Hef Hefeweizen
Belgian Wit
British Mild Ale
slightly modified Edwort's apfelwein
On Deck:
Amarillo Pale Ale
American IPA
In the hole:
My First All Grain Batch