My neighbors - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > My neighbors

Old 04-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #21
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My wife moved in here about a year before I did (I had to stay in VA for another year). I worked for a few months down in Texas, so I hauled my motorcycle down there with me. On my return trip to VA, I took the bike off my truck and parked it in the garage here. When I went to load it back up, the rear cylinder wasn't firing for some reason.

So, I messed with it for a while, and found that when I'd open up the throttle a little, it would fire. So, I did that for a minute or two, just revving it a little--not much at all. Now, my bike is a little loud, but i wasn't racing the engine or anything. So, my buddy and I pulled the plugs, and cleaned and replaced them. That seemed to fix it, so I rode it up the street and back. I got on it pretty good for just a second. Then I ran it up the ramp, and me and my buddy commenced to strapping it down.

At this point, the guy across the street came out on his pront porch and started screaming "IT WORKS! THE F#####G THING WORKS!!" over and over again. Me and my buddy stood up (still in the bed of my truck). I said, "Sorry, it wasn't firing on the back cylinder. We were working on it. I shouldn't have gotten on it like that though....sorry 'bout that. I wasn't thinking."

"THE F####ING THING WORKS!! THE GODDAMN THING WORKS!!!" he says, still on his porch. He's looks like he's got spittle flying from his mouth....he looks like he about to explode. My buddy and I looked at each other, and back at him. "THE GODDAMN THING WORKS!!!!" We just stood there blinking at him for a minute, and he finally turns around and goes back in the house.

Now, in Virginia, my neighbors were mostly motorheads, and didn't give a damn. I honestly wasn't thinking when I romped on it, and I told the guy I was sorry. But to stand there and scream like a madman? Please. That was about 2 years ago, and not a word has passed between me and that douchebag. I think he's a closet drunk. I just got my bike back on the road after all this time today. He drove up as I was washing it. He never even looked at me.

My other neighbors are older folks. They're not very friendly, but they keep to themselves. Works for me!!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 04-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #22
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Little Elm, TX
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
It's so much better having just over 4 acres. 200' wide by 800' long with the house smack in the middle.
That sir, is one of my goals in life. We've been in our first home for about 2 years. We were first house on block, was nice in the beginning. Now my whole horizon and sunset is blocked by houses.

Next house, I want some land.

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Old 04-20-2008, 04:41 AM   #23
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
"IT WORKS! THE F#####G THING WORKS!!"
I hear you.

I'll be passing through OK City on my way to Ft Sill on May 11th...is there a local brew pub in your neck of the woods? First round's on me...

Old 04-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #24
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I hear you.

I'll be passing through OK City on my way to Ft Sill on May 11th...is there a local brew pub in your neck of the woods? First round's on me...
Yep, but they range from the crappy to the underwhelming. Actually, I've only been to one, and wasn't impressed. Figures....looks like I might be out of town that weekend, but it's not set in stone. Remind me before you take off and we'll see what we can do!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 AM   #25
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I've had good neighbors and bad neighbors for the last several years, and being in military housing they've always been close. Right now, I've lived in my current neighborhood for about a year, and the closest I've met the closest neighbors in the next unit over. They seem OK, but we don't talk much. Honestly, I am a very anti-social person, the polar opposite of my SWMBO in that respect. She can start a converstation with anyone, but I really don't say much to anyone until I get to know them (or I've had a few beers). I don't like neighbors in the sense that I don't want to know their business, and don't care that they know mine.

My personal dream is to have at least 640 wooded acres (1 sq mile) with my house right smack in the middle of it. If I want to talk to someone, or share my business with them, I'll invite them over.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:53 AM   #26
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Cereal City, USA
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

bad nieghbors are the reaSON i bought the house i'm in. last place one was a crackhead whore whose window was about spittin distance from my bedroom window. behind was a rotating game of crapshoot,dealers, users, etc. the otherside was a road and then an engineer office where the hookers took their tricks(parking lot).

my current place is 1.8 acres with my west side being a horse farm on 40 the back is @200 ft to the north neighbor, the east is about 100 to him and i haven't talked to him in the three yrs i've been here .
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 04-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #27
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts

I call the guy across the street Info-neighbor because he ran up the day we moved in and began informing us of the entire demographic of the 10 mile radius and handed us all the takeout menus he could carry. He's been one of those pain in the a$$ busy bodies ever since.

I had to cut some "on the line" tree branches in order to put a fence in and one side neighbor came over crying about how I made the trees bleed and just kept asking "why why why why?". Of course, because the fence needs to go on the property line. She then gave me a lecture on why we didn't need a fence. (allowing kids to play safely in the yard instead of wandering into 50MPH traffic just a piece down the road probably ISN'T a good reason for a fence). Interestingly enough, she was demostrating at that moment EXACTLY why I did need a fence. Godamned Hippy!

I got a similar rant from the back neighbor who was treating his property as country escape (primarlily lives in Manhattan) and didn't like the idea of a white vinyl fence. He tried bullying me into a wood fence but I stood my ground. Never heard from him again.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
Yep, but they range from the crappy to the underwhelming...
My bad...I forgot we're talking about Oklahoma...

I was in the Army in Germany with a guy who's from one of the small cities outside of OKC. I hunted him down through the police station...his dad is a retired cop there...he never returned my call. We had a few misadventures together that were fun at the time, but left on bad terms since he got heavily involved with Quualudes and he didn't want my/anyone's help.

I'll try to keep this conversation in mind. Chances are I'll be bringing brew with me anyway.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #29
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Liked 47 Times on 20 Posts

We lucked out. Where we live the standard lot is a 1/4 acre, we have a corner lot on a 1/3 so we have alot of immediate neighbors and they all rock. Our house use to be a rental house so they are very happy to see some one take care of it. That and they are all thai, jamacian, or japanese so the food at enighborhood block parties kicks ass. What I hate are the rest of the aholes that and jerk wads that drive through the neighborhood blairing bass music at 1am.

Our 10 year plan includes us buying several acres in the panhandle around the madison area. I love my neighbors but I hate the damn city.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #30
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Lehigh Valley,PA
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have neighbors like that on one side of me. This weekend they started to build a garden over the property line onto my backyard. What ever happened to common courtesy ?

They also put their shed too close to my property line. I could be a dick and call zoning and make them move the shed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!