Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Rant
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
mot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rant

Frickin IDIOTS...got this guy at work rambling on about global warming and how it is so bad and we are killing everything.
I have tried many times to tell him that there is no such thing and he is just dumfounded. This going green crap, CFL's law they are trying to pass, global warming, ethanol, and all this crap about renewable resources UGGHH cant take it any more, people just hop on the bandwagon with out doing any research. They think it is the greates thing and not one thing I mentioned is a GOOD thing

rant done I feel better.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Um, have YOU done any research? If you think that global warming and green products are "crap" then I would guess that you haven't either.

I can't stand people on either side of the debate who make unfounded unqualified absolute statements about the subject. I lie somewhere in the middle: the scaremongors like Al Gore are part of a concerted effort to frighten the people by cherry-picking facts and laying doomsday scenarios. The other side is populated largely by wholesale deniers who approach the issue with a position and then try to justify that position by ranting about hwo global warming is a myth.

What I can't figure out is why more people can't approach the issue with an open mind and no preconceptions and base their position on the facts and evidence. Both sides are guilty here.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 456 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 109

... and here we go again and again and again...

Here's the thing. There really isn't any debate that there's global warming. The only real question is the cause of it and what (if anything) to do about it. If you're trying to claim that there's no such thing as global warming... well, nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 04-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5879 Times on 5110 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot
Frickin IDIOTS...got this guy at work rambling on about global warming and how it is so bad and we are killing everything.
I have tried many times to tell him that there is no such thing and he is just dumfounded. This going green crap, CFL's law they are trying to pass, global warming, ethanol, and all this crap about renewable resources UGGHH cant take it any more, people just hop on the bandwagon with out doing any research. They think it is the greates thing and not one thing I mentioned is a GOOD thing

rant done I feel better.
I bet you belong to the Flat Earth Society too, huh?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

There also is no reasonable doubt that we are using oil faster than the Earth is making it and that, in our current situation, we are deep kimchi after we use it up.

That said, here's another waste of petroleum (but more a waste of time):

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Another Global Warming thread. Uh Oh, here we go again.....

Here we are, with May just over a week away and there are folks in Wisconsin freezing their hops off.

Funny thing since the earth has been cooling for decade, the GW alarmists are spinning it as Climate Change. Look outside, it's raining. Climate Change. Look outside 60 minutes later, the sun is shining. Oh no, climate Change.

Just follow the money on this. AlGore has his fingers all over it and is well positioned to rake in billions as his minions push for legislative mandates to use his companies and products.

Quote:
AlGore likes to say that mankind puts 70 million tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere every day. What he probably doesn't know is that mother nature puts 24,000 times that amount of our main greenhouse gas -- water vapor -- into the atmosphere every day, and removes about the same amount every day. While this does not 'prove' that global warming is not manmade, it shows that weather systems have by far the greatest control over the Earth's greenhouse effect, which is dominated by water vapor and clouds.

Got Weather Questions?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
... and here we go again and again and again...

Here's the thing. There really isn't any debate that there's global warming. The only real question is the cause of it and what (if anything) to do about it. If you're trying to claim that there's no such thing as global warming... well, nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise.

While there are a vast number of signs pointing to warming, our historical data is inaccurate at best, so even to say it is warning is not quite fact. A very good, and most likely correct theory, but not fact.

My stance on the issue...we need more research before we do anything drastic that could topple our, or other, economies; or possibly even make the situation worse. For now, we just need to focus our studies on the issue and do little things like limit deforestation, recycle, plant new trees, limit carbon emissions, turn off your lights when you aren't in the room, drive high mileage cars, etc etc until we know.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Just follow the money on this. AlGore has his fingers all over it and is well positioned to rake in billions as his minions push for legislative mandates to use his companies and products.
I just read somewhere or heard on the radio, Don't remember which that Al gore is finally admitting he is pulling in scores of cash off this.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Im not sure about the GW but I do know that the push for solar/wind/geothermal/nuclear power can only bring good.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
vav
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Um, have YOU done any research? If you think that global warming and green products are "crap" then I would guess that you haven't either.

I can't stand people on either side of the debate who make unfounded unqualified absolute statements about the subject. I lie somewhere in the middle: the scaremongors like Al Gore are part of a concerted effort to frighten the people by cherry-picking facts and laying doomsday scenarios. The other side is populated largely by wholesale deniers who approach the issue with a position and then try to justify that position by ranting about hwo global warming is a myth.

What I can't figure out is why more people can't approach the issue with an open mind and no preconceptions and base their position on the facts and evidence. Both sides are guilty here.

Bingo, any person who cares to do their own research will see that, yes, the climate has indeed risen, but no, we're not all going to die tomorrow. Yes, there are some things we could change, but no, we dont have to give up every livelyhood in the process.

Closed Thread