Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Recipe Wanted
Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Likes Given: 1

Originally Posted by bferullo View Post
I believe there is a clone in the latest BYO magazine.
The recipe above came from BYO

Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mbobhat View Post
I thought about the temp in BYO recipe as well. I plan on doing the bigfoot clone, which is a barleywine higher alcohol, I believe they say mash at 154, but then again with high OG the yeast are doing their damnest to get the attenuation down to manageable FG. With the Celebration, almost a "baby" bigfoot, I would think you'd want to mash higher with the same yeast because the yeast would better attenuate. So maybe 154-157 is reasonable assuming the bigfoot would be mashed that high, which is high for a barleywine I've read. Very little crystal though.

They could be wrong on both temps, or could be assuming you are gonna lose a degree or two in your picnic cooler.
156 is what Steve Dresler said when he gave the recipe for Celebration to the guys on the Brewing Network back in 2010(ish). That's where I'd start...and it's right in the middle anyway. Also, use English crystal malt if possible, says Dresler.

And even with big gravity beers, the yeast will only attenuate up to it's natural tolerance for even if you target your mash temps for high percentage of fermentable sugars, you will most likely still end up with some residual sweetness. Might not be true for Celebration...but for a barleywine, I'd say so.
mbobhat Likes This