Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning/sanitizing bottles

Old 02-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
SteveM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I'm a cheap person--I find it hard to fathom that people actually pay for bottles.
I see it the same way - when I saw ten bucks for EMPTIES, I hid my outrage and bought a case of Stoudt's Red Lady Ale - in effect, buying a case of Stoudt's for fifteen bucks, is how I saw it.

I have used returnables that my beer guy will sell for a buck and a half a case, but I have decided that they are too beat up and frosted looking. So I stick to new bottles. I also have a buch of Bass Ale bottles (bottled in Canada so the bottles are North American size) that I use.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I wouldn't call you cheap for not wanting to pay for empty bottles. I've been buying six packs of regional micro-brews to increase my bottle supply. Yeah it costs more but I've been discovering some good (and not so good) IPA's!

One thing I didn't mention was labels for Miller High Life Light came off very easily. They are clear bottles w/ twist off caps but I'm only using 2 so I can see the beer progress in the bottle.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneFloyd
One thing I didn't mention was labels for Miller High Life Light came off very easily. They are clear bottles w/ twist off caps but I'm only using 2 so I can see the beer progress in the bottle.
I use Sammy Smith or Newcastle bottles for my peep shows.