Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Crazy Question! (bottle bucket)

Old 04-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Aleforge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Crazy Question! (bottle bucket)

I have a bottling bucket, with lid, hole for blow-off and a spigot. My glass carboy is being used atm. Can I use a bucket that has a spigot as a primary? I didn't know if it would end up leaking over the weeks it will take to ferment or not.

And this is the crazy question, I have NEVER used anything but a carboy to ferment in. I cant seem to get the bucket lid on, do you need to hammer it on with a rubber mallet or something?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5863 Times on 5098 Posts
Likes Given: 80

You could.

Yep, sometime the lids are tough to seal but for primary fermentation it doesn't really need to seal.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

All my buckets have spigots on them. That way I don't have to siphon, just hook up a hose and drain.Some Better Bottles come with ports for these. Never had a problem yet.As far as the lid, I put them on the floor and work the lid on using my knee sometimes.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use buckets, but it depends on the size. Mine are 7.9 and 6 gallon buckets so I have head space. If it is just a 5 gallon bucket, you will have to use a blow off tube with it.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Bob Loblaw
Recipes 

yeah buckets are the **** man! Spigots save a ton of time and money. Just get use bigger ones (mine are 8.5 gal) so you have plenty of head room so you don't need a blow-off tube.

Primary 1: Raspberry Hefe
Primary 2: Phat Tyre
Secondary 1: Kelly's Killer Porter (dry-hopped)
On Tap: Irish Stout, IPA, Brown Ale, Apfelwein, ESB, Pissed off Porter, Aaron's Bitter,Smoked Porter,American PA

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm not a fan of primarys with a spigot...one more piece that has to be removed, cleaned, sanitized, and reinstalled before you fill.
and on all the bottling buckets I've owned, its always too low and you dump a cup of yeast cake when you open the spigot.

some buckets I hear have it higher...those work better if you don't mind the spigot cleaning deal.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah,but I switched to an 8 gal fermenter since the same time invested to do 5 gal. I drilled the spigot hole about an 1 1/2" from bottom which seems to work out okay. A lot depends on how your yeast does, I have used a 6.5 gal. for a 5 gal batch that blew the air lock off so I always use a blow off hose. I've also had about 4" of trub in my primary using the same yeast in a 5 gal. batch. It all has a lot variables.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Wade E
Beer Buster

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

All my buckets also have spigots but I installed all of them a little higher to avoid the yeast and i also use some for wine and didnt want the grape skins getting stuck in there.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the tips guys! I feel better now that I can just sanatize and use it, this is the first time I will have two batches fermenting at once!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
ashbyp

Recipes 

I have a spigot on my bottling bucket - I just chucked some sanitizer into the bucket and then opened the tap and let it flow through. I should probably take the tap off and soak the whole thing in sanitizer though, maybe...

Do you guys remove the tap and sanitize, or leave it on the bucket?