Hard Drive Demolition - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Hard Drive Demolition

Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So about 2 years ago, I bought a 400GB Seagate external hard drive for backing up family pictures, documents, whatever. It basically looks like this:

Well, the other night, I noticed that the damn thing wouldn't power up any more. I could press the power "switch", switch being very generous here, it is more of a soft switch than a real switch, and you could hear the drive spinning up. As soon as you took your finger of the "switch" the thing lost power. Add to that, I couldn't access the drive while it was powered up. I think, "OK, there is a problem with the controller board, I'll just pull the drive and put it in a new enclosure." Wrong!

Meet the torx plus bit head. Notice the 5 points instead of the usual 6. Also notice the hole in the middle. That is because torx plus screws have a safety pin in the middle. I can't find this specialty piece of crap anywhere and a quick google search comes up with a reason. You have to be specially certified to even buy one of these security bits.

So, am I going to spend $40 on a bit for a drive that may be dead? Hell no! 20 minutes with a dremel tool can bypass any security the folks at Seagate felt they had the right to impose on me.

And, guess what? The damn drive works like a charm in its new home.

I don't know what the point of the post is, but I'm pissed that Seagate didn't just use a normal friggin screw. Guess I just wanted to vent a little.

Always wear safety glasses.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

lurve yer work. nothing can withstand the impact of powertools.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 04-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #3
usnsti

Recipes 

Sep 2006
East Dago, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damn, You made that drive your bitch.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
uwjester

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You know, on the one hand, I'm fairly impressed that the drive stood up to that. I don't know whether to be impressed with Seagate or furious with Seagate.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
BigNick73
Recipes 

Sep 2007

You can buy those bits. I got a set from auto zone one time to replace an ignition in a vehicle, if nothing else they're on ebay for $20 just search for "5 point torx".
Drinking: Irish Red

Old 04-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

Amazon and Harbor Freight have them for under $10 per set. Seeing as there was no reason to save the enclosure, there was no need to wait for shipping.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
uwjester

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I looked on ebay and amazon, but I didn't see any for cheap and the ones I did see, I didn't think would work. The screw is at the bottom of a 1" deep, 1/4" diameter hole. I didn't think the collar that holds the bit would fit into the hole and I didn't think the bit itself would be long enough to touch the screw and the collar. Besides, why spend $20 for a drive that could be dead.

Regardless of whether or not a $5 bit could of worked, why not use a screw? Seagate obviously didn't want me to be able to get to the hard center inside the chewy shell. To what purpose? Did they think I was going to put a different drive in there? Are they trying to make sure I don't void my warranty?

Now there's an idea. I should get online and describe the problem, get an RMA, and send that mess to seagate. "I think somethings wrong with this."

Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Seagate harddrives themselves last forever. Ive used some 4-8 gb drives for ferring info around and these things are almost 10 years old.

Im lucky to get 2 years out of a WD
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Technically it's still not powering on, even though it's in that mess.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Gotta love my Seagate drives...and the 5 year warranty . But yeah, I'd never buy an external drive; it's just cheaper/better to buy an internal dive and an external enclosure, imo.