Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Malt Liquor Recipe (Extract)

Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
coeceo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Malt Liquor Recipe (Extract)

So I searched a little regarding Malt Liquor recipes and found mostly old threads.
Rather than raise the dead, here's a new one:

I'm interested in making a brew for this. I used to drink them quite a bit in college (St. Ides, Bull Ice, OE, etc...) And thought it could be fun to brew a batch for old times sake.

AHS has a clone kit which sounds interesting...But I have the yeast already and was wondering if anyone has experimented with their own version.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Oh maaan. I have a headache just thinking about Old E.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Just buy the 40oz's it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper and you won't waste all that time and ingredients making it yourself. Think about it, a forty for old time's sake is one thing. Having to deal with 5 gallons of it just sounds like a huge waste to me...

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

but he can rebuild them and make them faster stronger and more tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/
mpride1911 Likes This 
Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
coeceo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
but he can rebuild them and make them faster stronger and more tasty.

EXACTLY.

Plus:
-It will be funny.
-My friends and I will drink it.
-I will still get to brew.
-It will be cheaper than any other homebrew.

I will use a burger comparison. I can go to McDonalds and get a burger, they are cheap, unhealthy, crappy beef, but it will still be pretty tasty.

-or-

I spend some time building some burgers at my place, fresh beef, some onions and maybe garlic chopped up in it, nice rolls, grill it up real tasty, and now thats a work of art. Plus knowing I put so much TLC into my burger makes it even better.

Maybe the same will hold true for the Malt Liquor brew?

Old 04-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
jeeper
Recipes 

haha this is great. I was just thinking of running out and getting a few OEs since my beer funds are pretty much dry and all my beer is conditioning right now...

I am curious too, probably won't make it but would like to see a recipe

Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeceo
EXACTLY.

Plus:
-It will be funny.
-My friends and I will drink it.
-I will still get to brew.
-It will be cheaper than any other homebrew.

I will use a burger comparison. I can go to McDonalds and get a burger, they are cheap, unhealthy, crappy beef, but it will still be pretty tasty.

-or-

I spend some time building some burgers at my place, fresh beef, some onions and maybe garlic chopped up in it, nice rolls, grill it up real tasty, and now thats a work of art. Plus knowing I put so much TLC into my burger makes it even better.

Maybe the same will hold true for the Malt Liquor brew?
Nope.... If you change the recipe it won't be Old E, Bull Ice, etc anymore. It will be something else entirely. IMO, still a waste of time and ingredients.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've always noticed that drinks like the Hard Ice tea, and things that SWMBO drinks all say "Flavored Malt Beverage"

HOW!
I want to ferment something up that I can add watermelon flavor to! And Yes...I'm going to try a watermelon wheat.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.n.budz
Nope.... If you change the recipe it won't be Old E, Bull Ice, etc anymore. It will be something else entirely. IMO, still a waste of time and ingredients.
if you enjoy brewing it and think it will be fun to have on hand, then it isn't a waste. furthermore, many major craft breweries make malt liquor including dogfish head, rogue, bear republic, and three floyd's, which are some of the most highly regarded breweries in the country.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dogfish...de-malt/33380/

A 40-ounce, bottle-conditioned malt liquor brewed with Apache Red (red), Hickory King (white), and Taos Blue (blue) corns. The "All-American" malt liquor is packaged with a hand-stamped, Dogfish Head brown paper bag. Scheduled for a 6/15/04 release. (limited availability, 300 cases) Bottled in 40 ounce bottles.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/three-f...-liquor/55915/

A delicous lager brewed with a little bit of Illiana's finest corn.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rogue-d...-helper/58241/

"This ain't your Dad's malt liquor" - Brewmaster John Maier After the death of his wife, Henry Jackson Smart was left to raise 6 young children alone. His courage, love, selflessness and dedication inspired his daughter, Sonora Smart Dodd, to organize the First Father's Day on June 19th, 1910. In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge proclaimed the third Sunday in June as Fathers Day. President Nixon, in 1972, established it as a permanent day of national observance. Dad's is brewed with Harrington and Klages malts, Flaked Corn, Crystal Hops, Free Range Coastal Water, and Czech Pils Yeast. Available in the spring of 2005 in the classic 22-ounce Rogue micropiece. Measurements: 17 degrees Plato, IBU 25, Apparent Attenuation 77, Lovibond 10 degrees.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and food josh oakes on beer and food

Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and food josh oakes on beer and food