Audiophiles/hifi buff brewers? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Audiophiles/hifi buff brewers?

Old 04-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1657 Times on 1071 Posts

I've never spent that much on equipment but I've researched room design quite a bit. If you're looking to invest in good audio, you should spend about 75% of your budget on your room, 25% on the equipment. You can put $20,000 speakers in a sh!tty box of a room and make them sound like a frickin Bose wave radio.

That might sound extreme, but you can compromise with at LEAST putting some decent corner bass traps in and some absorption at the first reflection surfaces.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #22
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Liked 114 Times on 69 Posts

BobbyM,

You nailed it!

The ROOM is THE most important piece of your sound system. Placement of your gear within the room is equally important.

I have dealt with three companies supplying room treatments. All are great to work with. Please take a look at : http://www.realtraps.com/
http://www.gikacoustics.com/
and http://www.eighthnerve.com/

Last year I used Real Traps at RMAF. This year GIK introduced some more attractive finishes on their traps. They will be used in my two rooms at the October show.

Clean AC is another important factor. Try to keep all switching power supplies off the run to your system. A dedicated line would be a good investment.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #23
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Richland, WA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had been wondering if there were other audiophiles on here as well. My system is unimpressive, I'm really into vintage stuff, but I aspire to build something great when I have the money. I'm into vinyl and to be honest while I have a fairly good cd player you can't beat the reproduction of vinyl. I've been working on some book shelves for a while now that I need to get new drivers for, I'm excited cause they throw a great soundstage. I used to get stereophile mag but to be honest it sucks, too much way expensive stuff and I believe those guys live in a la la world when it comes to what sounds good, you'd be surprised what you can do for a thousand bucks.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 AM   #24
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Brew Runner: yes, there is a connection .

Bobby_M: now really, if you had done much research at the forums I visit you would have found out that Bose is the laughting stock of home theater/audio world. Sure their equipment sounds nice enough, but with a little time and research you can put something together for a small fraction of the price. I've seen several side-by side reviews that put a well-selected $600 setup outperform a $3000 bose setup. Course, things could have changed in the last nine months since I was researching, but considering that Bose spends far more on marketing than on R&D, I kinda doubt that.

For me, I don't know if the equipment I'll be buying will be good enough to warrant an environment treatment. I mean, if I was investing in a $5000 setup I'd totally believe the greater cost effectiveness of sound panels/ dampening, but at the cost of $60-100 that I saw at those sites it very quickly adds up to a large percentage of my budget. But again, if you like DIY you can order sound panels/tiles/foam at places like mcmaster.com and save a bunch of money that way. I will be buying a tuning device, at the very least, though.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #25
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

Nov 2005
San Francisco
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After brewing, music is my greatest obsession. Though I am an audiophile, I'm not a hi-fi fanatic. My favorite band is The Velvet Underground, and I'd much rather listen to my mint White Light/White Heat or my extremely worn Live in '69 on vinyl than any digitally recorded or "remastered" versions. What the sound lacks in fidelity it makes up for in texture, if that makes any sense. A compact disc is just an @ssload of ones and zeros; a vinyl record is a physical translation of sound on to solid matter, then played back. The tangible element of vinyl makes me feel much more in touch with the original performance than a CD ever will.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #26
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1657 Times on 1071 Posts

Ed, I don't know if you glanced over my post or what, but you didn't comprehend my analogy. I said:
Quote:
You can put $20,000 speakers in a sh!tty box of a room and make them sound like a frickin Bose wave radio.
I'll say it differently... I don't care how much you spend on speakers but if you put them in a bad room, they will sound as BAD as BOSE.

You just can't fix a bad room without at least some absorbtion and I seriously believe you can make a $500 system sound great. IOW, it's better to spend $500 on a theater in a box and another $500 on room treatments than $1000 on equipment alone.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #27
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True about the room (and bose ;-).

The speaker designer I mentioned ealier is very specific about how his speakers should be placed and how the room should perform acoustically for his speakers to perform its best. His larger speakers (like the one I'm interested in) are not full-range, instead they are specifically designed to be used with sepparate bass-modules that can be optimally placed and tuned for the room, greatly reducing the need of bulky bass traps.

H

Old 04-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #28
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7397 Times on 6074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You just can't fix a bad room without at least some absorbtion and I seriously believe you can make a $500 system sound great. IOW, it's better to spend $500 on a theater in a box and another $500 on room treatments than $1000 on equipment alone.
I'll agree with you for the most part on this. Yes, a bad room is just that. But, it doesn't always take $500 worth of foam to fix a room. Small rooms are an animal all their own and most of the problems with them are associated with the natural modal frequencies of the room. That is, certain dimensions of the room support and emphasise certain frequncies.

Sure, you can simply buy a bass trap and stick it in a corner but it isn't always necessary.

You know, all that vinyl we are talking about? A sensibly placed bookshelf, full of that vinyl can act as a bass trap too. Some witfully placed solid objects in that bookshelf "can" take that bass trap into the real of a Quadratic Residue Diffusor.

Curtains, cushions, medium density foam behind canvased artwork, glass, etc...

These can all be used to simulate the effect of diffusors, traps, and absorbers and most likely are things you already have around, they just ned to be placed in a manner that makes them more effective.

The only thing worse than a untreated room, is a poorly treated room after hundred to thousands of dollars have been spent. An overly treated room, even a poorly treated room can result in a dead room that sound just as bad, if not worse.

My devices of choice have always been RPG. But then again, I am biased. I am also a dealer for them. But that ain't going to well for me. As said before, room treatments can be cost prohibitive to many and the mentality of most consumers is to spend more money on bigger speakers, stronger amplifiers, and the likes.

Through my studys in acoustic physics, I intend to take this to a more commercial venue into Noise cancellation, studio acoustics, and civic center (concert halls). Who know, thatt'll probly flop too but it's something I enjoy and it all makes sense to me.

As for Bose, well it's a waveguide. What can I say, they are taking a midrange driver and attemptinbg to make it perform like a sub. To many, it sounds great but for others nothing less than a dedicated sub will do. Not all waveguide designs are bad, Freid Audio makes an excellent set of waveguide towers that perform beautifully if you have an amp capable of driving a 4 Ohm load. Which any Audiophile shouldn't have any issue with. Hook those beauties up to some tube gear, even the newer Cary stuff, and they sing a song that would temp even the sirens to crash into the rocks.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #29
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
My devices of choice have always been RPG.
Rocket Propelled Grenade? I bet that works wonders
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #30
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7397 Times on 6074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
Rocket Propelled Grenade? I bet that works wonders
Well, they do cancel out a lot of noise and will provide that lifelike boom and sizzle. And they are really effective against those troubleome clients.

In the acoustics world there is a device called a Reflective Phase Grating or RPG. The manufacturer named his company as a play on that term. But, IIRC ironically, partners also have initials that help make up the acronym.