Audiophiles/hifi buff brewers? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Audiophiles/hifi buff brewers?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
kappclark

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Southern VT
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

We discovered the MC250 on the 4th floor of a building where I work... I don't know how long it has been in storage, but I plan to take it for a spin this weekend probably ... I will make them an offer if it seems to work well.

They're on ebay for less than $400, so I figure I can get my ego off on saying I actually owned a Mac amp ..

The new McIntosh stuff is still very expensive.

That's quite a turntable ... trust me, I am not a member of the lunatic fringe who, for example, believe that stereos on the West coast sound better because the power is from clean hydro-electric dams, not dirty coal ! I have abt 40 albums which I haven't listened to in years..

How about tubes ? I am thinking of getting a refurbed Dynaco ST-70 for that sweet tube sound.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Liked 116 Times on 71 Posts

Here is a better shot of my TT

Here are my phono pre-amp and pre-amp

I built all three of those. The TT was a "kit" I had to assemble the bearing and finish the wood.

The pre-amp were bought ar empty circuit boards. I stuffed them with my own choice of parts and installed them in cases I had custom made for them.

You may want to take a look at Response Audio.
http://www.responseaudio.com/
He makes some FANTASTIC tube amps that sound quite a bit better than the old Dynaco gear.

I used a Bella EXtreme 3205 at RMAF two years ago driving a pair of VMPS RM-30s

That combination sounded superb.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice to know I'm not alone :-)

I used to be into the esotheric stuff (cables etc), but a visit to a friend's friend several years ago totally changed my perception of sound reproduction and high-end audio. This guy had spent the better part of his life researching the human hearing and the physics involved in sound reproduction. He turned out to be quite a character.

For starters, he really just wanted to design speakers -not sell them- and he wanted to educate people about what matters in audio reproduction.

His speakers was originally designed as research tools but he soon found out that people wanted to buy them because of their exceptional performance he and started manufacturing small quantites (partly because he designed every part of the speaker elements for each speaker himself and he had to order fairly large quantities of the parts to get them manufacutred).

He also refused to sell his speakers to anyone he had not met in person, but in return you got a one day chatt with him about speaker design, psychoacoustics, room acoustics etc. and the speakers where sold pretty much for what they cost to manufacture. In short, a true character!

Anyway, the first system he showed me consisted of his entry level bookshelf speakers (today ~$800 as a kit), a cheapo integrated amp and a cheapo DVD player used as CD. The speakers where hooked up with zipcord. The sound from this system was simply unreal. Redicilously effortless and accurate with bass that almost seemed to defy physics (taking into account the small boxes). It was simply jawdropping. Back then I didn't have the money to buy his floorstander (that is probably the uggliest, but also most accurate, dynamic, realistic sounding speakers I have ever encountered, and I've listened to quite a few), so I settled for the bookshelf version that I've enjoyed ever since.

Just a few days ago I was talking to him about letting me buy one of his big systems (and we're talking *serious* speakers, here :-), I found out he finally has been talked into designing a commercial speaker for a newely formed company. The speaker is largely based on the bookshelf speaker I have but has been commercially pimped (and priced). It supposedly has just been released on the US market (Guru Pro Audio QM10). Fortionatly for me, he will still continue to sell his "non-commercial" speaker line from his basement.

H

Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I really got to get ym stuff set up- My HK has been collecting dust. sigh...
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Hehe, after I make some money this summer I'll be buying some new toys...One of which will be a decent sound system. For me, that probably means $800 or so, which might be laughable for some of the folks here, but better than 95% of the systems on the market. And at least for the moment, that's good enough for me .

No boxed systems for me, though. All a la carte or DIY.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd
Hehe, after I make some money this summer I'll be buying some new toys...One of which will be a decent sound system. For me, that probably means $800 or so, which might be laughable for some of the folks here, but better than 95% of the systems on the market. And at least for the moment, that's good enough for me .

No boxed systems for me, though. All a la carte or DIY.
Hey, only douchbags would laugh about that. The important thing is that *you* feel it is worth the investment. You can get *superb* sound out of $800. In fact, getting a great system out of $100k is not hard, the true challenge (and reward) is to have a great system out of $800...

H

Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #17
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Liked 116 Times on 71 Posts

Henrik,

Thank you for posting the information about those speakers. They look great. The reviews are really good. I'll have to try to listen to them this year at RMAF.

RadicalEd,

You can get some really good sound for under $1K.

Take a look at the AV123.com site.
The X-series speakers look incredible and sound even better.
I think they are the best value in Hi-Fi today.

Couple them with one of the XR series Panasonic receivers, and you will have killer sounds for low dollars.

I use the original X-LS speakers with sub and a Panny for my bedroom system. After first hooking it up, I thought that this is a system I could EASILY live with as a main system.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #18
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks fellas .

I've heard that av123 offers some excellent speakers in this range. I'll definitely be checking them out. WhenI was last doing research, oh, 7 months ago, Polks and Athenas were the big 'on a budget' speakers. Apparently Bic makes a good sub too.

A friend of mine also recommended a Panny receiver, but that version at least didn't have any analog ins worth speaking about. Which is a requirement for me, as I'll be routing my computer's sound through the speakers, and digitally my sound card (X-fi, used because I'm a gamer) only supports 2.1 digital out. Onkyo is supposed to make a pretty darn decent receiver (although the speakers are nothing to speak of). I'll definitely be doing lots of research before I can make that kind of investment.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 AM   #19
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7704 Times on 6288 Posts

I do acoustic analysis. Through that I realized I didn't have to spend a fortune to have transparent audio, I just had to tune the room. Yamaha RXZ-9 for the brains and 10 sattelites (bookshelf speakers) with a massive 1000watt sub to bring them all together. Digital and vinyl software. I am also a video buff too. 150" screen for projection.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #20
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Oct 2005
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dug a working late '70s to early '80s HiFi tape player out of the trash last week, does that count? My "surround" unit is a 3-channel Pioneer reciever I got for free and the biggest recent upgrade to my audio setup was some noise-cancelling Maxell headphones.

I feel so out of place in this thread.

I actually sort of collect "vintage" electronics. I'm reminded of that antique electronics dealer in one of the Cowboy Bebop episodes.....hey RadicalEd, is there any relation?