Audiophiles/hifi buff brewers? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Audiophiles/hifi buff brewers?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, hands down, I admit, I'm a sucker for lifelike audio reproduction. I'm also a sucker for quality (not seldome homebrewed) beer. For me there's nothing like listening to well recorded music on a truly transparent high end stereo system while sipping a good beer (next to listeing to live music, sipping a good beer, of course...or listening to live music, sipping beer next to a beautiful woman...etc. etc.).

Anyway, are there any other audiophiles/beerphiles on this board or am I the only audiobrewbuff around?

/
H

Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2004
Menomonee Falls WI
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I too also like to listen to good music while drinking good beer.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

You would love my FIL's system. Only the best from http://www.marklevinson.com/ and other high end makers.
2650 per channel and probably $750,000 It sounds incredible

Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

My business partner was co-owner of Theta Digital before they sold the business. I have a few pieces of high-end gear, just enough to realize I don't have golden ears like she does. Her setup is amazing. Listening to an opera, you know exactly where everyone is on stage.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Liked 117 Times on 72 Posts

I think I might qualify

I currently make my living in "High End" Audio by building cables and modding network media servers, aka SqueezeBox. http://www.slimdevices.com

Check out http://www.audiocircle.com
Lots of audiogeeks and even a few homebrewers there.

There is a great audio show in Denver every year called the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. http://www.audiofest.net
It is held in the Marriott Denver Tech Center. The "lounge" has all of Great Divide's beer on draft. There is nothing like sitting down to a nice, hoppy Titan IPA after a long day at a trade show

If you are at all interested, check out my offerings at http://www.boldercables.com

My personal systems are always in a state of flux. I have been using VMPS 626R speakers for quite a few years. My latest pair are highly customized with external crossovers built with all Sonicaps and Sonicap Platinum caps. All the internal wiring is my design. Lots of Bybee Purifiers and other geek tweaks.

I put a set of "rock" speakers in my back yard last year.

They are not the greatest in terms of fantastic definition or extended low end responce, but powered by an old '70s vintage Kenwood receiver and fed by a SqueezeBox, it is a great way to pass an evening.

The "heart" of my systems is my media server. I have over 2500 albums stored in .flac files on 1.2 terabytes of Hard Drives. The modded SqueezeBoxes get the information streamed to them through my wi-fi network. I have compared the sound to a lot of separate CD transports and DAC s and for under $10K, I haven't heard anything that sounds close.

I do have a Teres 255 turntable and about 600 vinyl albums. Since I started with hard drive based music, it has been just sitting on a shelf.

I made my first beer at home 26 years ago. Listening to music with a beer in my hand is one of my few simple pleasures. It really doesn't have to be on an "audiophile" system. Sitting on my deck during a warm evening and listening to some great recordings of live concerts with a Dale's Pale Ale...

Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

Wayne1
"Listening to music with a beer in my hand is one of my few simple pleasures. It really doesn't have to be on an "audiophile" system. Sitting on my deck during a warm evening and listening to some great recordings of live concerts with a Dale's Pale Ale... "

I don't have my FIL's system, but the stereo is always on (sirius 16 the vault) while I brew.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
kappclark

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Southern VT
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Audio is my second hobby (actually my first before homebrewing). Yes, I am a subscriber to Stereophile.

I can recall mowing lawns back in the 60's to save up for that Garrard Synchro-Lab turntable and a pair of AR 4x speakers... friends in college though I was nuts the way I prepared my LP's before I played them on an AR turntable with the Shure V15 cartridge - it sounded great. I am thinking of getting back into vinyl..

I had a pretty decent Kenwood receiver and also reel to reel (TEAC) ..

Tp hell with the home theatre stuff ... I wantr to just be able to focus on the music..

Marriage, kids etc ... but still really enjoy FM radio (such higher quality than satellite) and we are lucky to have such great college stations here (I have an outdoor FM only antenna on a rotator feeding a vintage Yamaha T-80 tuner.

I am now looking at a McIntosh MC250. I have always wanted to own anything McIntosh. It's all about quality - right ??

I think I will hook it up in my fantasy basement brewery ! Make the sound as good as the suds..

Let's keep this thread going guys !

Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #8
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Liked 117 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark
I am thinking of getting back into vinyl..
As long as you enjoy the ceremony, go for it!

Vinyl just takes too long. Or I am too impatient.

This is a picture of the same model TT I own

I also have a Hagerman Cornet tube phono pre-amp and Clarinet tube pre-amp.

Using Hard Drive audio is just FAR too easy. I don't have to find the record. Remove it from all the covers protecting it from the enviroment. Place the album on the platter. Clean the album. Adjust the VTA so it sounds right. Very carefully move the tonearm over the cut I want to listen to. Play the one cut I want to hear. Raise the stylus off the record. Bring the tonearm back to it's rest. Remove the record from the platter. Place it back in it's protective covering. Try to find where it goes back in my collection.

If I want to listen to something I just pick up the remote control. Scroll through either artists, album titles, genres, etc. I find what I want to listen to. I hit play. That's it.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #9
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Canberra, ACT Australia
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I used to be a fanatic, but life just got too busy. I still have my ADCOM GFA5800 Amplifier as well as ADCOM AC line enhancer, Tuner and 5 disc Carousel also all ADCOM, that I purchased back in 1991. I decided that I just HAD to own a pair of Klipschorns once in my life, so I bought all the original drivers out of a set in USA, along with the original labels, emblems, crossovers etc and had them shipped here. I have precise plans to build them and have a mate with a CNC machine to cut everything and another mate that's a proper cabinet maker, so they will be perfect when completed.

2 reasons for not purchasing a proper set?

$18,000 AUS to buy a set here.
$7,000 to buy a set in USA and $2,500 to ship them.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #10
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

McIntosh MC250- omg Macs are pure beauty!

I stuck with Harmon Kardon as I dont have the money for serious **** like Macs. After looking up the Mac wow - I had no idea they make anything less than $3K.

I bought some cheap JBL speakers when I was an Airman and holy crap I cant find a reason to get rid of them!
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...