Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Sacred Summit Pale Ale (AG) [[ Gold Medal and Best In Show ]]

Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #61
DrSnake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #62
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I am drinking this one a lot. It is very good; I don't get the onion taste. I am going to try the malt bill with falconer's flight hops instead of summit next time. I REALLY like the summit but I have a lot of FF to use.

I wonder if you could 'taste test' your summit hops for onion flavor by steeping the hops in hot water and honey. I have yet to be dissappointed by Summit hops.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #63
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts

Wow BM, this is another hit. I was nervous about Summit hops but I love this beer.

I brewed a 5gallon partial mash/partial boil version of this made with Beersmith. I used 8lbs total of grains and 1.5lbs of DME with expected 66% eff. I get with my setup. I basical BIAB inside a 5gallon kettle and sparge through a bucket with holes drilled in the bottom. Then I do a 4gallon boil in the same kettle. Add DME at 15min and top off with ice to cool.

I was very skeptical to the Summit hops after hearing onion and garlic notions. I do see what people mean but it isn't the oniony flavor you expect. Can't explain it but I do sense some onion flavors, only subtle tones you don't associate with onion usually. The tangerine is very prevalent.

I totally see and agree with your comparison, BM, of the Cascade/Cent. hops being a yellow and this being an orange. This brew has a great residual sweetness that lends itself to the Summit hop flavor. It's delicious in any sense of the world, you lick your lips after a big drink of this. Mine has great lacing and about half a finger of head the whole way drinking the glass.

I just had my first glass after 20days in primary, and only 1 week carbing in bottle and I already see myself brewing this again soon.

I say it's another hit because I brewed your Centennial Blonde about 2 months ago. It was awesome and was drank faster than any of my other homebrew. And even earlier today I brewed my own variation on the recipe and made an Apricot Blonde Ale with homemade apricot puree added to the end of the boil and the secondary.

Last edited by Zoidberg; 06-14-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: More Info
BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #64
ZombieBrew83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

BM does it again!
This has been a great beer. The best way to describe it is a manly-er Blue Moon. Beautiful, fresh citrus with a little more hop backbone and a little less sweetness compared to Blue Moon. Still very enjoyable on a hot summer day. (Yes, we have those in Minnesota!) I get all tangerine and no onion from the Summit hops. I'm taking a couple growlers to a BBQ tonight. This beer is a great grilling companion.

Thanks for posting.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #65
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts

Agreed, I don't really see the blue-moonness. It's not quite as "spicy" not a great word for it. A lot more residual sweetness than I usually like but it works really well.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #66
ZombieBrew83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Wow!

My batch of Sacred Summit took home first place in the American Pale Ale category and Best Of Show at the Minnesota State Fair homebrew competition this year!!!! I am so honored I can barely wrap my head around it!

Many thanks to BM for posting this recipe.

If you are considering brewing this, JUST DO IT!
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #67
fili123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would also like to thank BM for this recipe. Im on my third batch after purchasing a pound of whole summit hops. I bumped up the IBUs a bit with another addition of Willamette. It is the tastiest beer Ive made to date!

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.5 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.2 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 8.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.0 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.0 %
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 8 28.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 6.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 40.1 IBUs Calories: 185.8 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.9 SRM

Mash @ 155 for 60, Mash out @ 170, batch sparge, collect 7.5 gal wort, boil 75 minutes.
BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 01-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #68
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm really thinign of brewing this in a few weeks, my only concern is the garlic/onion comments about Summit.

Is it possible that those that are getting the onion smell/taste are using a different yeast that could contribute to it. I know some yeasts bring out hop flavors more than others. I did a Pale Wheat split in half and used two different yeasts, one used washed Ommegnag and the other used WY1010. The Ommegang batch had a bologna flavor for 2.5-3months, the 1010 never had that smell or taste. Afetr that timeframe though the Sorachi Ace lemon character was much more prevalent in the Ommegang batch than in the 1010 batch. The 1010 always had a very subdued lemon character never in the forefront like the Ommegang batch.

Is it possible the fermentation temps are leading to it? Those that have had good and bad experiences, have you kept your temps in consistent temp range or just let it free rise and fall? If the latter what was the starting temp?

Last thought, is it possible that certain crops or brands of hops have the onion taste where others don't. My LHBS only carries HopUnion brand hops, so that's generally the brand I use.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #69
Shenanigans
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I live in Europe and got a special offer sample hop-pack with two ounces each of Summit, Willamette and Mosaic. So I’m going to use the Willamette and Summit for this recipe.
The only thing is that I’m an ounce short on the Summit hops for a 5 gallon batch.
Anyone have any suggestions on how I can best make up the difference and still get the most flavor out of the Summit hops? Would the best option be to use something else for the first worth hop?
I could use Citrus hops like Cascade, Centennial or Falconers flight or some neutral bittering hops like Northern Brewer or Magnum or just use the rest of the Willamette.
The other bittering hops I have available are Aurora, Target, Taurus, Nugget.
Also I will be using normal Belgian 2-Row pale ale, would it be worth adding some biscuit malt to get it closer to Maris Otter or will it make much difference?
Thanks!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #70
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Congrats on the medals! Its a lovely recipe. Well balanced malt bill, not being over complicated with a muddled hop bill in a pale ale.