American Pale Ale Sacred Summit Pale Ale (AG) [[ Gold Medal and Best In Show ]]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale - 05
Yeast Starter
Previous Slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Keg Conditioned for 10 days at 35 degrees

Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 15.61 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.7 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %

1.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (90 min) (First Wort Hop)Hops 27.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [16.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [16.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops -

2.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Kona_Pour1.jpg

Some tasting notes:
Very good. I was not dissapointed with the Summit hops.

Summit hops has a huge flavor. I dry hopped the batch with 1 ounce of Summit and tossed in 1 ounce of Willamette as well (per five gallons) for 7 days.

The citrus flavor is much sweeter than the normal "Sour" citrus you get with cascade/centennial. Less of a grapefruit, and much more like a tangerine flavor/aroma.

All I can describe it is that the flavor move from "C" hops to Summit is like the color move from yellow to orange. Same basic "color pallette" of flavor, but a darker shade. Fuller. Richer. Less snappy.

Granted it needs a couple weeks to mature and clear, but you can definitely taste the difference right away. There is no back of the throat "bite" that I get from early centennial samples.

So far, very tasty. The bitterness flavor is actually lower than I'd thought...but I'd just finished a glass of my Bridgeport Clone so my hops taste buds were probably a bit stunned.

I can certainly see why people don't hesitate to blend Summit hops with Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial for a more complex hop profile.

EDIT - This recipe is officially an award winner taking first place and Best in Show at the 2013 Minnesota State Fair homebrew competition...

:rockin: - I've got one of my SMaSH beers as a summit. I made mine for the same flavor profile you mention. Tangerine!!!

9.5lbs of pale malt
.5 lbs of toasted pale malt

1/4 oz Summit @ 60 min
1/4 oz Summit @ 30 min
1/4 oz Summit @ 15 min
1/4 oz Summit @ 0 min

2 oz Summit dry hopped in the 2ndary ~ 2 weeks

Right now I have Edwort Haus PA & this as a good basic summer brew!!! As of tomorrow both are just starting the 2nd week of dry hopping.

I believe it was back in Feb that freshops.com had a very small hops selection, but they were selling pounds of summit for pretty cheap (around $28 I believe) so a lot of people bought a pound or two (I wish I did), but they are pretty hard to find now. Since summit hops are so new there really isn't a good substitution for them now.

Your best bet might be to try to trade with another HBT member. I did find 2oz for $13 shipped on ebay, but that seems a little over priced to me.

BM, I would like to make this closer to 7.5% would adding more MO due the trick or should the recipe be scaled to get the higher OG. What was the previous yeast slurry that you used?

If you use Beersmith or another program, I would just scale this recipe up to be more of an IPA than an APA.

You could definitely get to a 7%+ beer with additional malt, but it will depend on your capacity. I don't think I could do a 7.5% and still make it a 10-gallon batch.

So is this a 90 minute boil or a 75 minute boil?

75 minutes should be plenty. If you're using Pilsner malt, go 90.

My boil times are more dictated by my preboil volume and what I think I need to do to get to my post boil volume.

Remember...if you over boil, you can always top up a bit...but you can't reduce your amount if you under boil. :mug:

This looks great. I had the APA at Tustin Brewery in California, who uses Summit hops like this one. Awesome. I'm going to try this in the next few weeks. What is the target mash temp?

I was planning to ferment with a new Safale-05 packet, but then I re-read your recipe, which uses an -05 slurry. I haven't used dry yeast since I started brewing a decade ago, so I'm leery. Now I'm considering using a liquid American ale yeast instead. What's your opinion - are dry yeasts reliable these days, and which would be better for this beer in lieu of a slurry?

I was planning to ferment with a new Safale-05 packet, but then I re-read your recipe, which uses an -05 slurry. I haven't used dry yeast since I started brewing a decade ago, so I'm leery. Now I'm considering using a liquid American ale yeast instead. What's your opinion - are dry yeasts reliable these days, and which would be better for this beer in lieu of a slurry?
The -05 is just fine dry...but hydrate it first.:mug:

I made this about 2 months ago. Only difference was I skipped the Willamette dry hop, since I wanted to learn about Summit hop flavor & aroma. After a 2 week ferment, 1 week dry hop secondary, and a few days in the keg, I must say I was turned off by the taste of this beer. People talk about stinky/onion-like flavors with Summit hops, which I certainly get when sniffing the fresh pellets. Not sure if it was psychosomatic or what, but it seemed to translate to the hop flavor of the beer as well. Oniony and very ripe citrus fruit hops with a nice malt background.

I let it sit in the keg for 2 more weeks, and it mellowed out quite a bit, with more of the pleasant flavors coming forward and the other stuff fading away. Problem was that house guests liked it so much ("What fruit did you add to this beer?") that I will never know how much more it would have improved. Until I brew it again, of course. I will also include the Willamette next time, as I think it would be a nice counter for the pungently fruity Summit hops. Nice recipe, BM.

I made this without the Willamette dry hop and a bit more Munich and less Vienna, since I was short on Vienna when I made it.

The Summit flavor is, indeed, huge. Fruity, but more like a mix of citris and apricot? Plum?

Mine dried out a bit more, adding to the hops bite.

I like this beer very much.

I made this without the Willamette dry hop and a bit more Munich and less Vienna, since I was short on Vienna when I made it.

The Summit flavor is, indeed, huge. Fruity, but more like a mix of citris and apricot? Plum?

Mine dried out a bit more, adding to the hops bite.

I like this beer very much.

Tangerine seems to be the flavor people identify with most.

You're making me miss this beer. :eek:

Just tapped my keg of this. I also skipped the Willamette dry hop. The first sip was like i was bitting into a tangerine. Delicious!!

Since I just scored 1# of summit, and happen to have some willamette on hand, I'll probably make this.

I've only mainly used the American "C" hops in my IPA/APAs - time to explore a little.

I will be making a run to the LHBS today for this exact recipe. I have never used Summit hops so I am excited about the final results. I will give an update in a month or so. Thanks BM!!!

The batch is bubbling away pretty good. It will be going into secondary 4 days from now.
Super excited!!!

This sounds like a great recipe. I don't have an brewing software. BM, could you please scale this for a 5 gallon ferment? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I finally got around to documentation......Brew days are a bit wild at my house so I always forgot to get any pictures of the different stages. I finally hooked it to a tap today after a few days of force carbing. The carb is still a bit low but the color/taste is MAGICAL. I am very impressed with the Summit hops and I plan on using them as often as they are availble to me. I snapped a picture before it was passed around.

Sorry for the large pic but I felt it necessary to show the full appearance.

Summitshot1.jpg

Well i'm going to make this brew this weekend. want to try a different hop than the C's and amarillo/simcoe. i brewed your outer limits ipa and loved it so can't wait to try another one of yours.

Well i'm going to make this brew this weekend. want to try a different hop than the C's and amarillo/simcoe. i brewed your outer limits ipa and loved it so can't wait to try another one of yours.

Remember the secret here is late hop additions.

I think I have about 5-6 ounces of Summit left over. I might have to put them to good use this weekend. :mug:

Remember the secret here is late hop additions.

I think I have about 5-6 ounces of Summit left over. I might have to put them to good use this weekend. :mug:

i scaled the recipe to 5.5 gallons to get 5 into the fermenter.

i adjusted the hop schedule a little different so i wouldn't have any hops left over if i buy 1oz packages. what do you think?

also i don't think the lhbs has S-05, didn't see it on thier website and haven't been to this one yet, they have Nottingham, haven't used that yet think it will be good?

Sacred Summit Pale Ale
----------------------
Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
Batch: 5.50 galAll Grain

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.055 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 43 IBU
Recipe Color: 9° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.3%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.2%

Ingredients
-----------
CaraPils 0.25 lb, Grain, Mashed
Crystal 20L 0.25 lb, Grain, Mashed
Crystal 60L 0.25 lb, Grain, Mashed
Honey Malt (Canadian) 0.25 lb, Grain, Mashed
Maris Otter Malt 8.00 lb, Grain, Mashed
Munich (US) 1.00 lb, Grain, Mashed
Vienna (US) 1.00 lb, Grain, Mashed

Summit 0.50 oz, Pellet, 90 minutes (First Wort Hop)
Summit 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes
Summit 0.50 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Summit 0.50 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Dryhop 1 oz Willamette
Dryhop 1 oz Summit

Batch Notes:

Looks fine. The only downside to Notty is the off-the-wall attenuation you'll get.

This recipe does well with a little residual sweetness.

If the LHBS has safale-04, go with that. If not...raise the mash temp 3-4 degrees and cut the rest time down to 40 minutes to preserve some unfermentables.

Looks fine. The only downside to Notty is the off-the-wall attenuation you'll get.

This recipe does well with a little residual sweetness.

If the LHBS has safale-04, go with that. If not...raise the mash temp 3-4 degrees and cut the rest time down to 40 minutes to preserve some unfermentables.

i was looking over you recipe. is this 75 or 90 min boil? the FWH for summit is for 75 or 90 min?

I found summit hops @ northern brewer finally got them. Brewed last Thursday bubbling away right now. I was a little worried about efficiency, so I added 2 extra pounds of 2 row. Ended up with 1.061. Guess I didn't need to worry about it after all. Can't wait to try this!!!! Also I like your centennial blonde to.

:mug:

I found summit hops @ northern brewer finally got them. Brewed last Thursday bubbling away right now. I was a little worried about efficiency, so I added 2 extra pounds of 2 row. Ended up with 1.061. Guess I didn't need to worry about it after all. Can't wait to try this!!!! Also I like your centennial blonde to.

:mug:

I did the same thing today (extra 2 lbs of pale malt) - I ended up at 1.058. I knew I was gonna be a little high based on the reading of the runnings, so I threw in an extra 0.5 oz of summit at 30 to tweak up the IBU's just a bit.

This was my first 10-gallon batch, and I'm happy with the results, and the hydro sample tasted awesome!!!

I thought it tasted great to. Can't wait to try this after it is dry hopped. My glass fermenter still has a pretty heavy layer of krasen on it. I mashed @ 152 for 1/2 hour then 154 for 1hr. Wanted to make sure I had full conversion. The other half is in a ale pale still bubbling about 4-6 a min. It is fermenting @ 65-67 degrees.

The first batch of this I made turned out awesome. No Williamette dry hop, but the same recipe otherwise.

My second batch of this is in the keg, and it tastes like straight onion. Terrible onion flavor. I have heard of others on this board complaining of Summit and onion flavors as well.

Any help Biermuncher? I really, really want to make this again, but I want it to taste like my first batch, and I have no idea how I could have screwed this up.

i am botteling my batch this weekend and will have a sample. i sampled it when transfered to secondary and it was tasty, no onion flavor at all

Back