Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Whirlpool extraction

Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #11
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydrummer88
must you siphon off the top of the wort, or could you strain it out really quickly with a strainer?
In my experience, a strainer will catch much of the hop sludge, but break material will slip right through. Even the very fine strainers that come with some brewing funnels.

Of course it's not truly necessary to remove any of the trub from the pot, many people just dump everything into the fermenter and have no problems. Eventually everything will settle out, but I consider each transfer of beer/wort as an opportunity to greatly reduce the amount of solid material.

7Enigma, I expect you're right...I usually set my pot on a kitchen chair, which puts it at the right height for siphoning into my better bottle. It may not be perfectly level, I'll try my countertop next time.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:02 AM   #12
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Absolutely you can strain it! Use a sanitized strainer, and pour your wort through it. Now, if you have lots of hops sludge, it'll plug it up fast, but if you have a minimal amount of sludge, that will work great.
It will also help to aerate your wort.
+1 on the strainer. My wife holds the strainer over the fermenter, and I pour away! Once or twice during the transfer, depending on the amount of Hops used, she just taps it into the sink, being careful not to let the strainer touch anything. It works really well for us.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars

7Enigma, I expect you're right...I usually set my pot on a kitchen chair, which puts it at the right height for siphoning into my better bottle. It may not be perfectly level, I'll try my countertop next time.
That's probably what's doing it then. Here's a tip for aerating the wort once its in the fermenter that is easy on the back/arms and gives much better mixing than just shaking:

Start by swirling the container well (just like you were trying this whirlpool method). Once you've got a good current, stop swirling, and tip the container at a 45 degree angle (so only the tip of the side is touching). Hold it steady and watch as the vortex collapses on itself putting a lot of air into the wort as well as mixing it well. Do this a couple times and its much more efficient than shaking, not to mention there is less risk of splashing because there is no upward movement of liquid towards the mouth of the container.

Just for fun, swirl it again and now just tip it up an inch or two. You'll see a smaller version of what you just did and that's why when you tried it before it didn't work (settled evenly on the bottom).

HTH