National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > SLOW fermentation???

Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
capn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SLOW fermentation???

Ok, so for my second batch I am doing a Deadguy clone from Beer Captured, partial mash.
I brewed the batch on 3/9 og 1.066 .002 higher than the recipie not bad for my second time. I pitch Wyeast 1338 European yeast once the wort cooled to 70. The yeast was started 3 hours earlier so the bag was starting to bulge. Airated the wort and let it sit.
On 3/18 i checked sg was 1.057 @ 64 degrees bubbling away happily
on 3/23 sg was 1.042 @ 64 degrees bubling slowed way down. I shook the fermentor to try to re-airate, no more bubbles
today 4/13 sg was only down to 1.030 at 66 degrees. whats going on????

I haven't moved it to the secondary yet becxause I think that will slow down fermentation even more. there is still a decent film of krausen on top. Should I repitch more yeast? if so what type?

Help and thanks
Bottled: IPA, Hard Cider, Cottage (wood shed) Ale,
Kegged: AIR
On Tap: Cider, Shed

Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
solidghost
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wait a few more days and check your gravity again. If it goes down, then you don't have anything to worry.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2842 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 3502

HaHAHA!!!!

I've been having the same problem with MY deadguy clone using the same yeast!!!! At 2 weeks it was sitting @1.030 as well.

I shoved it back in the closet, gave the bucket a swirl and wrapped a blanket around it....I was going to check it this weekend, but I didn't get a chance to....I'll probably take a reading in the next couple days.

I'm thinking that it is the yeast.
I had even made a huge starter for it....

I've come across a couple postings, including one on aussie homebrewer mentioning that this is a slow yeast.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
capn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks revvy , misery loves company. It has taken 5 weeks to get to 1.030 . at this rate my beer should be ready to rack to the clariffying in 3 more weeks...

So what do you guys think about pitching in a second batch of yeast? the sg has been sloooowwwwly dropping but dropping. If it doesn't drop should I pitch a second time to hit my FG or end it high.
I don't mind waiting, but I dont want to wait to long and introduce more bacteria or funky flavors...

Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2842 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 3502

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn
thanks revvy , misery loves company. It has taken 5 weeks to get to 1.030 . at this rate my beer should be ready to rack to the clariffying in 3 more weeks...

So what do you guys think about pitching in a second batch of yeast? the sg has been sloooowwwwly dropping but dropping. If it doesn't drop should I pitch a second time to hit my FG or end it high.
I don't mind waiting, but I dont want to wait to long and introduce more bacteria or funky flavors...
I'm not going to repitch...A beer can sit on a yeastcake for a couple months without affecting it. As long as the gravities dropping it's doing it's job, just on it's own time table.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-15-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
capn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

revy thanks
in the mortal words of axle rose ' just a lil ' patience'