Have to move... what to do? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Have to move... what to do?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
rustang64
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Missoula, MT

My mead is still fermenting away in primary and it turns out i have to move in a month and a half. I will only be moving across town but I cant imagine there are any easy ways to move a 6 gallon carboy full of mead is there? I have the same problem with 3gal wine and 6gal cider...

Old 04-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #2

Moving shouldn't hurt it at all. I'd get a milk crate though, then put it in that for carrying purposes. Try putting on the floorboard of the passenger seat of your car or just strap it in with a seat belt. Drive with caution.

W/O a doubt I'd get a milk crate to avoid handling accidents

EDIT: I just noticed you have a 6 gal, I'd measure the diameter first then see if it'll fit in a milk crate. If not get a carboy sling

http://www.northernbrewer.com/ferment.html

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
DUCCCC
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts

I second the advice to be careful with the carboy, and I'd also like to add that moving day might be a good one to rack your mead. You shouldn't have any issues with stirring up yeast if you just racked off it into a clean carboy with no yeast at the bottom yet.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 AM   #4

Also moving days are busy. Make sure to keep it out of sunlight as much as possible throw a t-shirt or two over it keep from getting light-struck.

I know it doesn't have hops but I'd hate to find out later that you should have handled it differently.

Make it a priority to move this first or last or just make a special trip for this. I would be the only one moving it if it was mine. Immediately find an out of the way place for it too.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-13-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Depending on your physical stature, and be honest with yourself, get a friend to do it for you or help you. I am 6'3 - 300# Farm kid that feeds cows every day, and I do a lot of physical work with my upper body, I don't think anything about moving full carboys around the house, but I think I'd ask for help if I needed to go down the front steps. Better safe than sorry.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

I've been using milk crates for years...I never move a full carboy unless it's in the crate.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
rustang64
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Missoula, MT

Thanks a bunch guys. I think I will try to rack it that day or as clost to it as possible. I do have milk crates that fit it as well. It has a permanent cover on it so that shouldnt be a problem either.

Thanks!