Grolsh bottles and sanitation (oven?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dockmasterjc

Reaction score
Just got bunch of grolsh bottles from a friend. I don't have a dishwasher and have been tossing my usual bottles in the oven to sanitize. Can I do the same thing with these?

When you heat bottles in an oven you might make some bottles break easier due to the fact that some bottles are mixtures of several types of materials to produce glass that is less breakable. Part of that process is heat treating and you might change that crystal structure and actually ruin that heat treatment. Just use Starsan and fill and it's a bunch easier and safe too.

Besides what WBC said, which makes sense, baking the ceramic tops and/or gaskets may make for bad seals....I would just use a no-rinse sanitizer like iodophor or starsan...

Personally oven baking to sanitize bottles, seems way to much when a quick dip, or shot with a vinator, of sanitizer does the job fine.

+1 on what Revvy said. The oven heat will probably do nothing more than shorten the life span of your seals.

While I seem to be one of the only proponents for oven sanitation... (it is easier, I promise)

I do sanitize all my swing-tops with star-san. I too am worried about the ceramic (or is some cases plastic) tops deforming. My process is to remove all the seals, and plop them in my star-san solution, then make sure all the bottles and tops are clean. Rinse in star-san and place on my bottle tree. Then I fill the bottles, pull a sanitizes gasket from my bucket, and cap the bottle. I have had no infection problems using this.

Good luck

Back