Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Energy

Old 04-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #11
Fingers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I think it's the nature of kids to be as wasteful as possible. SWMBO however, has a vested interest in conserving energy yet does nothing in that regard. There is at least one TV on in our house 24 hours a day. She uses one in the bedroom as a night light. The volume is either muted or so low you can't hear it, but she insists on leaving it on.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #12
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
I think it's the nature of kids to be as wasteful as possible. SWMBO however, has a vested interest in conserving energy yet does nothing in that regard. There is at least one TV on in our house 24 hours a day. She uses one in the bedroom as a night light. The volume is either muted or so low you can't hear it, but she insists on leaving it on.

Tune it to the Playboy channel.... everyone wins

Old 04-13-2008, 01:52 AM   #13
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOz77
I have been seriously looking at installing solar panels to generate my own electricity. It would be SO cool to watch that electric meter spin backwards..

Solar panels are not terribly efficent. Without a hiuge field of them and pretty constant direct sunlight on them you might find them prohibitively expensive.

Wind turbine in the 15 kilowat range is probably more reliable if you're looking to have your meter run backwards on a regualr basis. However, you have to be able to put an 80-150 foot tower in place on your property.

Both options require significant research into the local conditions and building regulations to have installed.

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
Solar panels are not terribly efficent. Without a hiuge field of them and pretty constant direct sunlight on them you might find them prohibitively expensive.

Wind turbine in the 15 kilowat range is probably more reliable if you're looking to have your meter run backwards on a regualr basis. However, you have to be able to put an 80-150 foot tower in place on your property.

Both options require significant research into the local conditions and building regulations to have installed.
No room for the tower, or I would put up a few of them. However, the AUS gov will pay for the panels up to 1KW, and I have to pay for the rest of the system. SO I spend $15K and they give me a $8K rebate. Would take me quite while to save $7K in electricity.

We spend roughly $120 per month and consume on an average of 23kwh per day. If the 1KW system were feeding the meter let's say 15 hours a day on everage, that would decrease our consupmtion by about 65 percent, or about $78 per month. That's roughly 7.5 years to recoup the expenditure...IF we continue to consume at the same rate, and IF electricity stays the same price.

I doubt electricity will stay the same price over that length of time, and I KNOW we can consume a lot less, so I am guessing we could break even in less than 5 years, and after that, the panels start making us money every day. Factor in the 25 year life span of the panels and the fact that you can add more any time, along with the fact that the technology will advance, and future added panels will be more efficient, and it starts to look pretty attractive.... unless the sun stops shining.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #15
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

In Anchorage they are extremely opposed to any Energy producing oppertunities. We have a valley they has a constant stream of wind and aenough area to create a wind farm that could produce enough energy for 100K people or 1/3 of Anchorages population.

The local Electrician union has greatly opposed it because its unfeaseable. In reality it will lower cost and lower thier revenue. Any electricity producing apparatus installed in a residential home would have to go through 10-25K$ in approval fees.

Freaking sucks since electricity is costing me 2-350 a month
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
In Anchorage they are extremely opposed to any Energy producing oppertunities. We have a valley they has a constant stream of wind and aenough area to create a wind farm that could produce enough energy for 100K people or 1/3 of Anchorages population.

The local Electrician union has greatly opposed it because its unfeaseable. In reality it will lower cost and lower thier revenue. Any electricity producing apparatus installed in a residential home would have to go through 10-25K$ in approval fees.

Freaking sucks since electricity is costing me 2-350 a month

Well, there is always the "What they don't know can't hurt me" option of just installing it and asking questions later if you get found out. You can go 100% self sufficient if you add battery banks to the system.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #17
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Quote:
Well, there is always the "What they don't know can't hurt me" option of just installing it and asking questions later if you get found out. You can go 100% self sufficient if you add battery banks to the system.
No they will fine you every day you dont have it approved and back date it.

But I know the person running for Mayor- She wins I am going to make sure she knows where the people who dont lobby stand.
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #18
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Nazis.

What sort of reason do they give for not allowing you to have solar panels that are not connected to the grid? ONLY thing I can think of is if they consider them to be an eyesore...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Quote:
What sort of reason do they give for not allowing you to have solar panels that are not connected to the grid? ONLY thing I can think of is if they consider them to be an eyesore...
It decreases their revenue.

Really sucks too considering I have 2 sides of the house that face the sun 20hrs a day in the summer

Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
It decreases their revenue.

Seriously? They can't possibly use that as a reason for not allowing it, can they? I mean, yeah, that's probably the real reason, but they must have a better reason for it that they use in public?