the little ladies! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > the little ladies!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
wrangler
Recipes 

Mar 2008
cliffside park, nj

arrived today - thanks diy! 2 cascades and 2 nuggets. i poured a nice glass of IPA then my little daughter and i got to work in the garden. psyched!
Bottle Conditioning: nada
Drinking: O.G.G. E.S.B., Isabella's Power Hour IPA v3.0, Sunday Song Stout
Cellared: Home-Grown Nugget Pale Ale, Isabella's Power Hour IPA v2.0, Tangelo Hefeweizen, Isabella's Power Hour IPA, DoubleHop ESP ExtraSpecialPorter
Distant Memory: Lady Chesapeake Brown Ale, First Pale Ale, Grandpa's Irish Stout

Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #2

Water them religiously and put mulch down to keep weeds out and they will do good.

I use alot of miracle grow.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-11-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
anderj

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Boise, ID
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

keep the hops clear of chemicals! I wouldn't want miracle grow in my beer. go natural

just felt like I needed to spout

-ander

Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #4

If want to go with organic fertilizer and bug repellent you can make a manure/compose-tea.

Take two 5 gallon pails. Make yourself a zaptap lauter tun as in Chuck's Good Book. Basically, two pales nested together the top pale is drilled with ton of tiny holes (false bottom). The bottom pale has a hose coming out bottom on the side with a hose clamp attached. The drill hole on the pale is 1/16 smaller than the hose OD. Press fit it into the hole. Wha-la

Take two shovel-fulls of manure/composte add it to your new "Crap Lauter Tun" (CLT) and let steep for 4-5 days in the sun. Then drain into a sprayer and then spray your hop plants regularly. Do so early and before cone formation.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-14-2008, 03:47 AM   #5
98EXL

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Maryland
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
If want to go with organic fertilizer and bug repellent you can make a manure/compose-tea.

Take two 5 gallon pails. Make yourself a zaptap lauter tun as in Chuck's Good Book. Basically, two pales nested together the top pale is drilled with ton of tiny holes (false bottom). The bottom pale has a hose coming out bottom on the side with a hose clamp attached. The drill hole on the pale is 1/16 smaller than the hose OD. Press fit it into the hole. Wha-la

Take two shovel-fulls of manure/composte add it to your new "Crap Lauter Tun" (CLT) and let steep for 4-5 days in the sun. Then drain into a sprayer and then spray your hop plants regularly. Do so early and before cone formation.

ok, I've spent a few minutes googling...and found nothing really about this CLT?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 AM   #6
Arneba28

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Amherst, Western New York
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

still another term to add to the wiki

Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

I used Miracle Grow to start my rhizomes. That stuff will be gone by the time I transplant. However, I'd def go natural now that it's thawed out, and I could get some good manure. That said, I've seen miracle grow being used for years on garden plants with no noticeable side effects (other than bigger and healthier plants). I have not seen a side-by-side comparison with manure. I'd guess it's probably pretty much the same.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
missing link
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Highland, MI
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Miracle grow is a fertilizer, not a chemical. Use Miracle grow for vegetables and it should give your hops everything they need. Your not applying the fertilizer to the hop cone itself so there is no danger to you.
Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.