Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermentation Temperature

Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Joe Camel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fermentation Temperature

Hey all,

A lot of sites discuss fermentation temperature when brewing ales and lagers and most say for instance that if the ale is fermented at >18C, you'll get ester production and make a fruitier beer.

Is the temperature they're quoting the liquid temp or the air temperature as our room we're fermenting is typically 15 - 19C but the fermentation is generating it's own heat and is usually 22-23C during krausen despite the cool room.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They are talking about the temperature of the beer. Yeah, active fermentation can produce quite a bit of heat.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
They are talking about the temperature of the beer. Yeah, active fermentation can produce quite a bit of heat.
During the active phase of fermentation the temperature delta can be 8-10 degrees Fahrenheit. I have noticed this because I use painters tape to place my digital controller's sensor to the side of the bucket. Another digital thermometer placed in a sippy cup with a lid and water will show ambient temp in my freezer/fermenter at 55 degrees, when the side of the bucket is 65 degrees. Within a couple days, the two displays will be in sync.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Joe Camel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
During the active phase of fermentation the temperature delta can be 8-10 degrees Fahrenheit. I have noticed this because I use painters tape to place my digital controller's sensor to the side of the bucket. Another digital thermometer placed in a sippy cup with a lid and water will show ambient temp in my freezer/fermenter at 55 degrees, when the side of the bucket is 65 degrees. Within a couple days, the two displays will be in sync.
So if I'm to ferment an ale at 65, the ambient should really be 55ish, I guess that's why our ales are always estery, we're targeting a room temp of about 65 and getting a fermentation closer to 74

Thanks, this'll help