Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rice Hulls Questions

Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
jayhoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rice Hulls Questions

I'm working up a recipe for a simple Hefe and I have some questions regarding rice hulls. I think I've answered some of these from other posts, but I'm not 100% confident I've got this right. I'll be adding 0.5 lbs of hulls to 10.5lbs of grains.

Water Absorption? Rice Hulls will not absorb water.

Strike Water Temp? Rice Hulls will effect this. My calculations should be for 11lbs of "grain".

Water to grain ratio? Should I count the rice hulls or not?

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Rice hulls do absorb water. Really, just account for them as if they were any other grain.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Actually I like to rinse soak and rinse my rice hulls first before using them. They are not exactly clean in some cases and by pre-soaking them, you don't have to worry about them soaking up any precious wort.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Actually I like to rinse soak and rinse my rice hulls first before using them. They are not exactly clean in some cases and by pre-soaking them, you don't have to worry about them soaking up any precious wort.
+1 the few times I used them they looked pretty dirty so I didn't want to just dump them in. As TexLaw said, after that I just treat them like any other grain in regards to water amounts.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you actually weigh out 1/2 lb of rice hulls? They aren't very heavy and 1/2lb is A LOT of rice hulls. A few handfuls usually do it for me, and I don't even consider them in any calcs because they're such a small amount by weight.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
jayhoz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshp1
Do you actually weigh out 1/2 lb of rice hulls? They aren't very heavy and 1/2lb is A LOT of rice hulls. A few handfuls usually do it for me, and I don't even consider them in any calcs because they're such a small amount by weight.
Yes. I weighed out 1/2 lb.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What I've been doing when using rice hulls i sputting them in my mash tun (cooler) with the pre-heat water, swishing that all around and draining it out through the valve, I've then got preheated presoaked rice hulls, so I don't figure them into my water calculations at all.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've never weighed mine. Austin Homebrew Supply sells them in 1# bags, so I just use 1/2 a bag.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
meyers.markg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I guess I have another question. Do rice hulls have the same/ similar tannins as barley hulls? My friend kept poking the grains while we were doing the lauter (I was not present). And when I started the boil there was a plethora of rice hulls that started surfacing!! Am I screwed?! More like, he's screwed because this beer is for his wedding.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
nodfera2
Recipes 

Everyone has their own method with these... to rinse or not to rinse, to soak or not to soak... etc etc.

Personally, I think its a waste of time to rinse/soak the hulls. The amount of wort they could potentially absorb is microscopic anyway. Just add a couple of scoops---no need to weigh them out. If you're making a hefe by traditional German stardards, maybe youll want to add a little bit more. Most likely a couple of scoops and youll be fine.

What is your set-up for the sparge?