Originally Posted by BigKahuna
and well...It won't kill you.
that is dangerously untrue. metal fume fever can certainly kill you. the risk depends on the amount you inhale, if the area is well ventalated, how much galvanizing there is, etc.
metal fume fever killed this guy...
that being said- i do use a section of 10" galavanized duct around my burners. my brew rig is outside in the open, so fumes wont collect anywhere. after the coating is burned off, it will stop producing fumes, so the first time you fire it up will be the most dangerous one. i turned the burners on full blast and left it alone for a good 15 minutes and made sure to stand upwind.
if you brew in a basement or somewhere indoors, i would definately not use anything galvanized.