Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Is it still possible to get hops locally?

Old 04-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
theclarkster85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My LHBS carries rhizomes till mid april. I bought three rhizomes for $3 a piece at the begining of March. So, you might try or atleast call your LHBS.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclarkster85
My LHBS carries rhizomes till mid april. I bought three rhizomes for $3 a piece at the begining of March. So, you might try or atleast call your LHBS.
I called yesterday when I got home...no luck. I'm just hoping the Freshops order goes through. They are still listing several varieties on their site as in stock, though I have yet to receive an order confirmation since placing the order yesterday. (EDIT: I did in fact recieve the immediate automated confirmation so hopefully that is a good sign)

If that falls through my father's friend has a Cascade hop plant used more for decoration and he is unsure of the AA content, but offered a rhizome clipping if I needed it. I'm hoping I don't need it since I'd prefer the Nugget if the description was accurate (high AA%, disease resisitance, high yielding).

Old 04-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
modenacart
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It might take a while but they should ship. It took mine a couple of weeks because they are so far behind schedule.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well I prepped the ground yesterday for where the main hop plant will go (not the one near the lightpost but in the small planter box). I removed a large Hosta that had started to sprout, first cutting off all the green leaves, then removing the root ball. We are watching a rabbit until my MIL/FIL find a new house (seemingly never going to happen) and so I put a pound or too of rabbit droppings and the leaves from the hosta and mixed them in with the dirt. Then I covered the spot with 2" or so of my partially decomposed compost (still not true compost but definitely on the road to decay). I then lightly watered with some of my used fish water (virtually the perfect fertilizer since it has all the nutrients in low levels, as well as some bacteria). I have some sand I've thought of incomporating into the soil to give a bit better drainage (and get rid of the sand) but I'm not sure if I'm going to do it.

I figure by the time the rhizomes come in this bed will be the perfect nutrient feeder for explosive growth.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #15
violins

Recipes 

I just got several here this week. Local for me
http://www.allseasonsnashville.com/B...ients/hops.htm
They still had all 6 listed on the website.