I´m opening a brewpub, layout opinions? look some renders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryg

Reaction score
Hello guys, i´m about to rent the space for a brewpub, is not quite big but is well located. I have the oportunity to make one of this two layouts. Which one you like more?

LAYOUT A - BEER FACTORY IN GROUND ZERO
aeo496t.jpg

1CaiA23.jpg

LAYOUT B - BEER FACTORY IN UPPER FLOOR
7gmAja4.jpg

ccmtNQI.jpg

8bkEXFj.jpg

Talking about space for beer manufacturing LAYOUT B is not as comfortable as being in Ground Zero.

Thanks for your help!

I agree Layout A.

Also is that brick wall next to the staircase necessary? If you were able to get rid of it, or even shorten the height to maybe a foot taller than the tables, I think it would open the whole place up.

Your comfort = layout A

Ground floor production at the expense of patrons and staff ease and accessibility. If customers choose to sit in the upper level, the staff will be up and down the stairs while carrying full trays of food and beverages. The customers will have to do the same to use the restroom.

Patron comfort = layout B

All amenities are available to the people paying your bills.

As some one who would frequent an establishment, I would choose option B and gaze heavenward at kettles that I will never own.

I agree Layout A.

Also is that brick wall next to the staircase necessary? If you were able to get rid of it, or even shorten the height to maybe a foot taller than the tables, I think it would open the whole place up.

The wall is not necessary at all, this is just the first render, i thought it was cool, but now that you say it.... :) thanks!

Your comfort = layout A

Ground floor production at the expense of patrons and staff ease and accessibility. If customers choose to sit in the upper level, the staff will be up and down the stairs while carrying full trays of food and beverages. The customers will have to do the same to use the restroom.

Patron comfort = layout B

All amenities are available to the people paying your bills.

As some one who would frequent an establishment, I would choose option B and gaze heavenward at kettles that I will never own.

Wise perspective. The daily workflow will go smoothly while i'll be having backpains lifting up the malt on sunday mornings. I think i can live with that( at least till my 40's) hahaha

Wise perspective. The daily workflow will go smoothly while i'll be having backpains lifting up the malt on sunday mornings. I think i can live with that( at least till my 40's) hahaha

With any luck the endeavor will be successful and then you can add staff to do the heavy lifting.

I would not, under any circumstances, put your brewing equipment on the second floor.

Why not? I've seen it done at many locations. Golden Birsch in Atlanta, Big River in Chattanooga are just a few. As long as the floor can handle the weight and the equipment is, as it should be, in good condition I don't see a problem.

I would not, under any circumstances, put your brewing equipment on the second floor.

That was my first thought as well. Re-enforcing the floor to handle all the equipment and water weight, would cost more than anything else in the build out. Personally, I think that the space is too small for a Brew Pub. Once you add in the dishes and glassware, kitchen, food storage (dry and cold), the separate cold and dry storage for brewing, you will be severely low on usable space for tables with enough room to move around them and serve their food.

Not trying to rain on the OP's idea, but space requirements are pretty tight from those renders.

How big are you batch sizes?

If you go with B,

Will you be storing and milling the grains on the first floor and then using an auger system to get into the MT? or will you have to pack 50lb sacks of grain up the stairs for every brew session? I know for me it would get old pretty quick if I had to hump ingredients up the stairs for every brewday.

What happens if you have a major failure of equipment and all that hot sticky wort drains out and leaks out to the floor below? Can you have a floor drain if you brew on the 2nd floor? It might be a bit dramatic of a thought, but just something I would be concerned about.

I think if you want to offer patrons an opportunity to see "behind the scenes" of your brewpub you would be better off with option A. It gives them a better view of what is going on and would be a focal point of the brewpub.

Just my thoughts

RENT= Ask your Landlord

But before I give my Opionins based on just renderings
Too many unanswered questions..

What is load compacity of the second floor?
What size is your intened size of the Brewing Equipment?
What Utilities are already located on the second floor?
How much insurance can you afford?

How many Square foot is the total place?
Are you planning to Draft or containerize?
Planning on Serving food also?

What happens if you have a major failure of equipment and all that hot sticky wort drains out and leaks out to the floor below? Can you have a floor drain if you brew on the 2nd floor? It might be a bit dramatic of a thought, but just something I would be concerned about.

Agreed, plan B looks like a horrible idea assuming that really is an open balcony above the seating area. Maybe building codes are a little loose in Spain? I'm also curious on your planned batch sizes, as mentioned previously it looks awfully tight. I would think at the least you'd want to be able to hose down the floor.

Why not? I've seen it done at many locations. Golden Birsch in Atlanta, Big River in Chattanooga are just a few. As long as the floor can handle the weight and the equipment is, as it should be, in good condition I don't see a problem.

Hey, yes, floor can handle heavy weight! :tank:

That was my first thought as well. Re-enforcing the floor to handle all the equipment and water weight, would cost more than anything else in the build out. Personally, I think that the space is too small for a Brew Pub. Once you add in the dishes and glassware, kitchen, food storage (dry and cold), the separate cold and dry storage for brewing, you will be severely low on usable space for tables with enough room to move around them and serve their food.

Not trying to rain on the OP's idea, but space requirements are pretty tight from those renders.

As far as i know, that floor can handle more than 800kg per square meter.
I have 3 500lt kettles, planning to do batches of 460.
Then fermentor is 625 liter. Water tank 500lt.
And maturators 12 x 240lt.This are plastic ones.
Total meters of the venue are 93m2, now i have a more detailed floor plan(took it today), i will update render space.
Food will be really limited to sausages, fried potatos, and this that don´t have too much elaboration.
I plan to do 4 batches per month. average 450lt per batch. Then put it in maturators, and kegging force carb with blichmann quickcarb as demand flows. So i wont have more than 2 kegs of each batch in daily basis.

How big are you batch sizes?

If you go with B,

Will you be storing and milling the grains on the first floor and then using an auger system to get into the MT? or will you have to pack 50lb sacks of grain up the stairs for every brew session? I know for me it would get old pretty quick if I had to hump ingredients up the stairs for every brewday.

I think if you want to offer patrons an opportunity to see "behind the scenes" of your brewpub you would be better off with option A. It gives them a better view of what is going on and would be a focal point of the brewpub.

Just my thoughts

I won´t mill in the factory, i have a provider that mill it for a bargain. I will store them downstairs behind the stairs, and lift them up with a manual stair climber.
I will have a floor drain of course in the 2nd.

Agreed about option A. :tank:

RENT= Ask your Landlord

But before I give my Opionins based on just renderings
Too many unanswered questions..

What is load compacity of the second floor?
What size is your intened size of the Brewing Equipment?
What Utilities are already located on the second floor?
How much insurance can you afford?

How many Square foot is the total place?
Are you planning to Draft or containerize?
Planning on Serving food also?
-800kg per square meter
-450lt per batch, 4 batchs a month. 1 fermenter 625lt. 12 240 maturators plastic. kegging on demand with blichmann quikcarb.
- there´s nothing in the 2nd floor right now.
- what do you mean about insurance? This is Spain :ban:

Agreed, plan B looks like a horrible idea assuming that really is an open balcony above the seating area. Maybe building codes are a little loose in Spain? I'm also curious on your planned batch sizes, as mentioned previously it looks awfully tight. I would think at the least you'd want to be able to hose down the floor.

Spain is really loose. Anyway renders are not as accurate as the should have.
I took new messures today. Will update this during tge weekend.All info about batch sizes and equipment answered a post above

Just for the heavy lifting? Space?

From a basic efficiency standpoint, you don't want to be carrying large heavy objects and materials up.

Can it be done? Sure. Would I ever do it? Nope.

As a person who visits breweries often, I always head to the upstairs seating (if available). I love being able to look out at the tanks and brewing activities below. Many breweries design their layout to take advantage of this.

As far as i know, that floor can handle more than 800kg per square meter.
I have 3 500lt kettles, planning to do batches of 460.
Then fermentor is 625 liter. Water tank 500lt.
And maturators 12 x 240lt.This are plastic ones.
Total meters of the venue are 93m2, now i have a more detailed floor plan(took it today), i will update render space.
Food will be really limited to sausages, fried potatos, and this that don´t have too much elaboration.
I plan to do 4 batches per month. average 450lt per batch. Then put it in maturators, and kegging force carb with blichmann quickcarb as demand flows. So i wont have more than 2 kegs of each batch in daily basis.

Cool. Just making sure that you were aware of some of the things more people, than not, forget about. I've run kitchens and worked in restaurants many times over the years, and a lot of owners don't think about some of the small stuff.

Hello to all and thanks for all your replies after all.
After giving it a good thought and having the correct mesures of the floor plan, i have no choice more than put the brewery in the top floor. And although i will be more uncomfortable brewing in the top floor, i have discovered that:

A) LAYOUT A: brewery in the ground floor, i can only fit 28 people. People have to go to the bathroom upstairs, i have almost no space to fit proper cooking elements.
1pIdmQC.png

69rrEDd.png

B) LAYOUT B: Brewery in top floor, i can put a elevating stair [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dhRGxCGl0[/ame] to fit more people 48 total. I can put the toilets in the back of the place, and using extra space for kitchen and longer bar. And have an empty room for storage in the back also. Also i will be not really comfortable.

Ou87Zk8.png

kugAquf.png

In the end i the main purpose is to more people drink craft beer, so i guess option B is what will be more rewarding, personally and profitable.

I will document all of the construction process :)

I would re-examine putting the brewery on the ground floor. The space it the loft looks really cramped. I looks like it is not much bigger than my home brewspace for 5 gallon batches.

If you put it in the loft can the diagonal wall between the brewing area and the storage be removed? If so it might give you enough room to work.

Your image of the raising stairs wouldn't be a good idea if you don't have an alternative way in and out of the upper floor. To get the stairs down you would have to ask patrons to move, then move the furniture also.

There is a micro brewery in my families home town, It has a bar and a couple of tables. The brewing area is almost twice the size of the service area. And it looks really cramped.

I would re-examine putting the brewery on the ground floor. The space it the loft looks really cramped. I looks like it is not much bigger than my home brewspace for 5 gallon batches.

If you put it in the loft can the diagonal wall between the brewing area and the storage be removed? If so it might give you enough room to work.

Your image of the raising stairs wouldn't be a good idea if you don't have an alternative way in and out of the upper floor. To get the stairs down you would have to ask patrons to move, then move the furniture also.

There is a micro brewery in my families home town, It has a bar and a couple of tables. The brewing area is almost twice the size of the service area. And it looks really cramped.
Yes de diagonal wall can and will be removed. That will give a little bit more space.
The thing is there's not a single good space to rent for a price that worth the penny. There's not a single brewpub in my city, and beer hasn't exploded yet. So demand is not high right now.
About the stairs, i will have them down when i'm brewing and working, but for opening hours it will be already lifted and secure.
I know it will be cramped :(

The space in the loft looks a lot bigger in the pictures than the drawings. If you can take out that diagonal wall it will not have so many tight corners that cannot be really used, so the space will be more functional. Brewery to one side, equipment and storage to the left. It will be nice for show for the patrons to be able to see the brew area. But you will have to keep it neat.

Clear acrylic panels in the railing would allow safety and visibility of the brew area if it is not too expensive.

Hello fellows, finally i dismissed that location, the community didn't let me put the air evacuation tubes til the rooftop of the building.
So i found a new one, just in front of that one.
This is layout planned.
What do you think? I can have a beer garden in the back of the venue. In the renders it appears with a roof but it hasn't/
oyY7Icu.png

x3iPuYZ.png

Renders:
fVX8IqJ.jpg

3CWCc15.jpg

Gu0MdIF.jpg

atFSQ2u.jpg

I definitely vote A. I know of a couple of brew pubs with a split level like that, and it's cool to have two different options... Though I'd imagine a bit of a PITA on the serving staff.

You may want to see if you can include a poll to get a better idea of how many like A vs B

Back