Yeast bay Vermont Ale on a pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
Just got my vial of vermont in the mail, and immediately put it on the stir plate to get it going for a brew, my question is will this yeast be ok for a pale ale?

Was think of somthing simple like:

8# 2 row
2# vienna or munich
(Maybe .5# caravienne, or a 10L crystal)
Mashing around 149

Hops would be warrior to bitter and some late additions of pacifica and motueka, perhaps a slight 1oz dry hop

The main purpose here is to build up my yeast and save it for a second generation of a DIPA at a later date.

Is there a rage for lower IBU? like, if i target about 30IBU, would it be a little too low to complement this strain?

The IBU's are just a preference (30-50 for pale ales) if your going on the low side, I would mostly late hop with the bittering @ 30.

This is what I do for my big beers too. My first one is a session ale like All Day IPA,there are lots of recipes out there. when doing a starter like that I use some kind of flaked grain for body(mine are 1.040 or less),I like using flaked rye. Keep your IBU's under the GU of the wort,you are going for flavor not punch you in the face bitterness. Don't dry hop in the primary if repitching. You are right on with the mash temp,just go longer, I go for 120 min when under 150*

I've used that strain for everything from highly hopped IPAs to blonde ales, to porters, stouts, pales, etc. It's a great strain and I've never been disappointed with the results. Ferment on the high side to get more fruit notes, or ferment mid 60's to get it mostly clean.

i believe that strain is pretty common for NEIPAs. plenty of those are in the 30-40IBU range. look for braumeister's recipe as an example, although he uses Conan.

i believe that strain is pretty common for NEIPAs. plenty of those are in the 30-40IBU range. look for braumeister's recipe as an example, although he uses Conan.

the yeast bay Vermont Ale, is the Conan yeast.

I know this yeast strain is much preferred for hopped up beers, which is why I asked the question about the lower hopped stuff.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks all! and Cegan09, I will be fermenting around the 70° mark for primary, then ill secondary and dry hop at a cooler temp of about 64° so that I can harvest/wash the cake for a huge (1.090+DIPA) at a later date.

Back