Troubleshooting AG version of EX beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my brew buddy and I have a beer that is kinda of our house beer. We brewed it for years as an extract beer and it is great. We call it the Angus Rolled Scottish, because when we first brewed it we rolled the carboy around on the floor to oxygenate the wort after pitching. That was almost 10 years ago.

We have been trying to brew this as an AG brew in 10g batches vs the 5g extract with steeping grains we started it with.

The extract has a very malty backbone with a nice very slight bitter finish and nice mild hop flavor from the chinook hops with a copper/reddish color to it.

The AG is lacking the same malt backbone, and the color is a bit lighter. The bitterness and hop flavor are pretty close to the AG version.

I did some research to try and determine how the Briess Amber extract is made and modified the AG grain bill of our most recent brew to attempt to mimic what i found.

Last week we brewed this up as both extract and AG to compare the two. Both are 10g batches and the extract was full boil with the extract and rice syrup solids added for the full 60 min boil.

I was thinking for the next AG batch to reduce the Pale and increase the munich malt? I am thinking the might help the malt to come through more.

Maybe use Marris Otter in place of the Pale?

Or even trying to do a longer boil to try and caramelize the wort a bit more to mimic the results of boiling the amber extract for the full 60 minute boil?

Here are the recipes. Both brewed on our E-HERMS system.

10g Extract

OG 1.055
FG 1.013
IBU - 28
Color 14 SRM (though it appears darker more like an amber)

16 lb Amber LME (boiled for the full 60)
2 lb Rice Syrup Solids (boiled for the full 60)
8 oz Victory
1 lb Honey Malt
1 lb Caramunich Malt

4 oz Hallertaurer (2.5% AA) - 60 min 16 IBU
1 oz Chinook (12.2% AA) - 20 min 12 IBU
1 oz Chinook (12.2% AA) - 0 min 0 IBU

WLP001 - Cali Ale yeast (Fermented at 65f)

10g AG

OG 1.055
FG 1.013
IBU 30
SRM 14

10lb Pale US 2row
7lb Munich 20L
1lb Caramunich
1lb Honey Malt
8oz Victory
8oz C60
2lb Rice Syrup Solids (boiled for the full 60)

4oz Hallertauer (2.5% AA) 60 min 17 IBU
1oz Chinook (12.5% AA) 20 min 13 IBU
1oz Chinook (12.5% AA) 0 min 0 IBU

WLP001 - Cali Ale (Fermented at 65f)

Mashed at 154 for 60 min
Mashed out at 168 for 10 min
fly sparged to boil volume
boiled for 60 min and hit all numbers.

We would love to get your thoughts on how to make the AG version have the same malty backbone that the extract version has.

Back